M, b. circa 1778, d. 1820
Bartholomew Cosnahan|b. c 1778\nd. 1820|p68.htm|Joseph McDaniel Cosnahan|b. 24 Mar 1758|p70.htm|Henrietta McGee|b. c 1761|p71.htm|Joseph Cosnahan|b. c 1725|p72.htm|Sarah McDaniel|b. c 1730|p7917.htm|Capt. John McGee|b. bt 1720 - 1730\nd. c 1835|p8024.htm|Martha Andrews|b. c 1735|p8025.htm|
- Bartholomew Cosnahan was born circa 1778 in South Carolina.
- He married Sarah Crosland, daughter of Edward Crosland and Ann Snead, circa 1800 in Marlboro District, South Carolina.
- Bartholomew Cosnahan became a widower at the say 1813 death of his wife Sarah Crosland.
- He married Rebecca Crosland, daughter of Edward Crosland and Ann Snead, say 1815, after the death of her sister Sarah, earliest 1812..
- The record shows that Richard Carlisle bought 170-1/2 acres on the north side of the Great Pee Dee river for $125.00 from Bartholomew Cosnahan, Aug. 12, 1818, and 100 acres of land on the northeast side of the Great Pee Dee river and on Muddy Creek for $400.00 from Benjamin Stubbs, four years later, Mar. 12, 1822.
- His wife Rebecca Crosland became a widow at his death.
- Bartholomew Cosnahan died in 1820 before the 1820 census was taken on 7 August.
- Published in an 1878 History of Bennettsville: Just below the Old Court House, stands Evan's mill, a spot somewhat remarkable, being distinguished as the place where a cotton gin was first run by water, for the accommodation of the public. Mr. Bartholomew Cosnahan is said to have rented the water power and first applied it to that use. . . .
The name of Mr. Bartholomew Cosnahan having been introduced it is as well to give some account of his family also. He resided on the hill overlooking the swamp in the back part of the field now [1870s] cultivated by Mr. J. C. Powell. The house is now standing. It was a somewhat pretentious building for those times, being two stories high, with double piazza in front. He was twice married, and when he died, left his widow and two sons and two daughters surviving him. One of his sons, Edward J. Cosnahan, a graduate of the South Carolina College, died afterwards in Bennettsville. He was a young man of brilliant talents, and fully qualified to make his mark in the world, had his ambition led him in that direction. The other son Joseph, married in Virginia and after planting a few years in this county, removed to Texas, where his wife died. He afterwards returned to Virginia and married again, and not very long afterward died, leaving a widow and one child, who since the war have immigrated to Marlborough, to make their home. The two daughters married and settled in Alabama--so that this name also, has in the male line entirely disappeared. Mr. B. Cosnahan owned both sides of the road as you pass down by Mr. Powell's store, and his plantation at that time, was, for it size, one of the most valuable in the State. Sometime after his death his widow had a new house built in the corner of her field just opposite Mr. Powell's store, and removed there with her family, but before many years died leaving her children surviving her.
Adjoining his plantation on the Marion road lived Mr. Alexander Lamb, who had a large family, and considerable estate--and opposite to him lived Mr. James Forniss. Both these names have also disappeared from this county. . . .
- Last Edited: 25 Sep 2011