Maria Eloise Wood
F, b. 28 December 1889, d. 21 March 1971
Maria Eloise Wood|b. 28 Dec 1889\nd. 21 Mar 1971|p670.htm|George Scovell Wood|b. 19 Jun 1857\nd. 28 Sep 1932|p668.htm|Minnie E. Ragan|b. 16 Feb 1863\nd. 22 Nov 1957|p669.htm|Green M. Wood|b. 7 Sep 1814\nd. 5 Mar 1898|p17.htm|Mary J. LeGrand|b. 23 Jan 1830\nd. 19 Mar 1900|p18.htm|Elhanan L. Ragan|b. 15 Apr 1831\nd. 30 Jan 1896|p10085.htm|Maria D. Smith|b. c 1834\nd. c 1872|p10086.htm|
Maria Eloise Wood Powell, 1889-1971
- Father: George Scovell Wood b. 19 June 1857, d. 28 September 1932
- Mother: Minnie E. Ragan b. 16 February 1863, d. 22 November 1957
- Maria Eloise Wood was born on 28 December 1889 in Texas or 29 December.
- She was known as Eloise.
- A photographic portrait was made of Eloise Wood as an infant.
- The following appeared on 15 April 1899 in The Daily Examiner: Miss Eloise Wood is quite sick.
- George Scovell Wood appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Maria Eloise Wood, Minnie E. Ragan, Herbert Ragan Wood and Philip Aurene Wood.
- George Scovell Wood and Minnie E. Ragan appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Maria Eloise Wood, Herbert Ragan Wood.
- She married Rufus Ernest Powell, son of Richard R. Powell and Mary R. (?), on 30 October 1913 in Grimes County, Texas.
- The following appeared in The Journal and Republican: (Married) In Navasota, Texas, at the home of Mrs. George Wood, on October 30, 1913, Mr. Rufus Powell and Miss Eloise Wood, both of that place. Mrs. Wood, the mother of the bride, nee Minnie Ragan, was formerly a resident of Lewis County.
- Rufus Ernest Powell registered for the draft on 5 June 1917 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas, while living with his wife in Navasota, and working there as superintendent of the Navasota Cooperage Company.
- George Scovell Wood and Minnie E. Ragan appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Maria Eloise Wood, Rufus Ernest Powell and Rufus Ernest Powell Jr.
- The following appeared on 15 May 1924 in The Journal and Republican: Houseville friends were sorry to learn of the death of little George Milton, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Powell, and grandson of Mrs. George Wood, of Navasota, Texas. Mrs. Wood will be remembered by old friends as Minnie Ragan, who formerly resided in this locality.
- Rufus Ernest Powell and Maria Eloise Wood appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas, living in the same house as George S. Wood.. Other members of the household included Rufus Ernest Powell Jr.
- Maria Eloise Wood became a widow at the 17 May 1933 death of her husband.
- Members of the Wood family gathered for a Sunday afternoon barbeque, about 1940.
- During the early 1950s, Doc and Ev Ponton were visited in Louisiana by Mrs. Robert Goree, Minnie Wood, Anna Goree, and Eloise Powell.
- At the time of her death Maria Eloise Wood was living in Hollywood Park, Bexar County, Texas, at 405 Meadowbrook Drive.
- Maria Eloise Wood died on 21 March 1971 at age 81 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, at Carriage Square Nursing Home, 8020 Blanco Road . Her death was officially witnessed by Rufus Ernest Powell Jr.
- She was buried at Oakland Cemetery in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 15 Feb 2012