Laura Ann Lewis
F, b. 12 September 1824, d. 20 July 1882
Laura Ann Lewis|b. 12 Sep 1824\nd. 20 Jul 1882|p6078.htm|Dixon Hall Lewis|b. 10 Aug 1802\nd. 25 Oct 1848|p6067.htm|Susan Elizabeth Elmore|b. 23 Dec 1805\nd. 16 May 1889|p6077.htm|Francis Lewis|b. 26 Dec 1768\nd. 1 May 1837|p6049.htm|Mary D. Hall|b. c 1784\nd. 13 Dec 1870|p795.htm|John A. Elmore|b. 21 Aug 1762\nd. 24 Apr 1834|p6026.htm|Mary A. Martin|b. 7 Aug 1786\nd. 17 Nov 1855|p6027.htm|
Laura Ann Lewis Scott, 1824-1882
- Father: Dixon Hall Lewis b. 10 August 1802, d. 25 October 1848
- Mother: Susan Elizabeth Elmore b. 23 December 1805, d. 16 May 1889
- Laura Ann Lewis was born on 12 September 1824 in Lowndesboro, Lowndes County, Alabama, or 17 September.
- She married Robert Lindsey Scott, son of Gen. John Baytop Scott and Elizabeth Coleman, on 25 May 1841 in Lowndes County, Alabama.
- Robert Lindsey Scott and Laura Ann Lewis appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Lowndes County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Eliza Elliott Scott and Clariinda Vernon Scott. Burrell H. and Martha A. Smith and Franklin, age 2, also were in the household.
- Laura Ann Lewis became a widow at the 28 November 1852 death of her husband Robert Lindsey Scott.
- Green Wood recorded: in his book of Misc. Financial Records, in addition to personal expenses, an accounting of payments made related to schooling of Eliza Stocks Wood, as heir of Willis B. Wood: "May 1858 . . . Tuition at Waverly institute up to end, July 1st - $19.00; Cash paid Mr. Fitzie for Music tuition - $30.00. . . Sept 7th, 7 months Board at Mrs. L. Scott,s - $85.00; Tuition due on last session, June 30th - $7.00; Paid in advance for Tuition commencing Sept. 6th - $8.00.
- On Saturday, 30 October 1858, Green Wood recorded: "Made a Visit to J Abercrombie's & Waverly," and on the following day, "Returned this evening from visit to J. C. Abercrombie and Mrs Scott's, Waverley."
- On Thursday, 18 August 1859, Green Wood recorded: "Mrs. Wood, Ella, Mr. Powell and Campbell left for Kellum Springs in company of Mrs. Scott and Miss Ella Scott," and on Saturday, the 27th, "Mrs. Wood and all others got home from Kellum Springs."
- Laura Ann Lewis appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Waverly, Walker (later San Jacinto) County, Texas. Other members of the household included Eliza Elliott Scott, Clariinda Vernon Scott, John Archer Scott, Robert Lindsey Scott Jr., Susan Elizabeth Elmore and William Henry Lewis.
- She was a farmer, according to the 1860 census.
- The following appeared on 16 April 1862 in The Tri-Weekly Telegraph:
Ed. Telegraph--I beg to acknowledge the receipt of the following articles, contributed for the Hempstead Hospital, by the ladies of Danville and Waverly, through Mrs. Major Green Wood, of Danville, Montgomery county:
278 lbs. lard, 160 lbs. ham, 40 lbs. soap, 6 doz. candles, 88 lbs. butter, 93 doz. eggs, 2 calico spreads, 2 comforts, 12 mattrasses, 30 sheets, 27 pillows, 40 pillow cases, 40 towels, donated by the following persons:
Mrs. Mayfield, Mrs. Hughes, Mrs. Spiller, Mrs. Sessum, Miss Sarah L. Davis, Mrs. Green M. Wood, Mrs. J. M. Leivi, Mrs. Geo. Redding, Mrs. Major Redding, Mrs. Maj. Green Wood, Mrs. McGarr, Mrs. Charles Abercrombie, Mrs. Tryler, Mrs. Dr. Carr, Mrs. W. B. Scott, Miss Thompson, Mrs. Tabb, Mrs. Richard Williams, Waverly; Mrs. Col. Campbell, do; Mrs. Dr. Campbell, do; Mrs. Dr. Scott, do; Mrs. Col. Jno. Hill, do; Mrs. John C. Abercrombie, do; Mrs. Laura A. Scott, do; Mrs. Wm. B. Wood, Danville; Mrs. Wynne, do; Master Solomon Wood; Major Green Wood's servant[s], 31 doz. eggs; Mrs. Green Wood, cash, $10; Miss Sarah L. Davis, $10; Mrs. Dr. Stewart, $5.
Mrs. C. A. Groce,
Principal Hempstead Hospital.
Hempstead, April 10th, 1862.
- Lorenzo Clarke Fisher and Eliza Elliott Scott appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Galveston, Texas, and two domestic servants.. Other members of the household included Laura Ann Lewis, Laura Lewis Fisher.
- Lorenzo Clarke Fisher and Eliza Elliott Scott appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Galveston, Texas, at 364 Post Office Street and two domestic servants.. Other members of the household included Laura Ann Lewis, Laura Lewis Fisher, Ella Scott Fisher, Lucy Campbell Fisher and Susan Elizabeth Lewis.
- Laura Ann Lewis died on 20 July 1882 at age 57 in Galveston County, Texas.
- She was buried at Waverly Cemetery in Waverly, Walker (later San Jacinto) County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 18 May 2013
Family: Robert Lindsey Scott b. 5 August 1820, d. 28 November 1852