M, b. 1792, d. January 1860
John Goldthwaite|b. 1792\nd. Jan 1860|p4414.htm|Lt. Thomas Goldthwaite||p4333.htm|Anne Wilson|b. 1774\nd. 6 Jun 1863|p4334.htm|||||||||||||
- John Goldthwaite was born in 1792 in England.
- He married Anne Tarleton say 1815.
- According to the 1878 City Directory and History of Montgomery, Alabama: Of the earliest inhabitants of "New Philadelphia," or "Yankee Town," [were] . . . Jonathan C. Farley. . Dr. James Mitchell. . Thomas Lewis, William Lewis, Green Wood. . John Goldthwaite. . . Mr. Jonathan C. Farley erected the first framed store house and dwelling in the fall and winter of 1817. The store house stood at the corner of Market and Hull streets, the present location of Mr. T. S. Madigan's brick store. His dwelling stood on the adjoining lot. A mill was early established on "Spring Creek," now known as "Eight Mile Creek," east of Montgomery, by Messrs. Pinkston and Allen. This afforded a fair supply of excellent lumber for several years. . . . Dr. James Mitchell, who removed from Tennessee early in 1818, was the first practicing physician in the town. The Doctor married a sister of Col. Bolling Hall, and retired to a farm in Autauga County, from which county he removed in 1853 to Texas, where he was still residing last fall. . . ." By act of December 3, 1819, "New Philadelphia" and "East Alabama" were incorporated into one town, under the name of Montgomery. . ."
- John Goldthwaite appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Montgomery County, Alabama. The only other member of the household was manager Payton Delaney.
- He was buried at Oakwood Cemetery in Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama.
- John Goldthwaite died in January 1860 in Coosa County, Alabama.
- Last Edited: 12 Dec 2012