M, b. 3 June 1809, d. 10 July 1856
Alexander McDougald|b. 3 Jun 1809\nd. 10 Jul 1856|p3412.htm|Duncan McDougald||p10016.htm|Unknown (?)||p10017.htm|||||||||||||
- Alexander McDougald was born on 3 June 1809 in Cumberland County, North Carolina.
- He married Frances Lucretia Mitchell, daughter of John Mitchell and Elizabeth Green Wood, on 25 December 1838 in Muscogee County, Georgia.
- In 1839 and 1842 he was elected to the Georgia Legislature, a Democrat representing Muscogee County.
- John Mitchell qualified as executor of his son-in-law William Moughon and became guardian of minor Sarah Moughon, child of his daughter Ellen, until his death in 1841, at which time Alexander McDougald (husband of John Mitchell's daughter Frances) qualified as John Mitchell's executor and became guardian of Sarah Moughon.
- Alexander McDougald and Frances Lucretia Mitchell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia, enumerated next to Ann Eliza Alexander McDougald, widow of Alexander's brother Daniel.. Other members of the household included Sarah E. McDougald, Frances Eason McDougald, Helen McDougald and Sarah Ellen W. Moughon.
- He was an attorney-at-law, according to the 1850 census.
- His wife Frances Lucretia Mitchell became a widow at his death.
- Alexander McDougald died on 10 July 1856 at age 47 in Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia.
- He was buried at Linwood Cemetery in Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia.
- The following appeared on 7 May 1870 in the Columbus Daily Enquirer: Administratrix's Sale (Muscogee County) By virtue of an order from the Honorable the Court of Ordinary of said county, will be sold within the usual hours of public sale, on the first Tuesday in June next, before the auction room of C. S. Harrison & Co., in the city of Columbus, the House and Lot on the west side of Troup street, above Bridge street, in the old Jail Square, belonging to the estate of Alexander McDougald, dec'd. Mrs. Frances L. McDougald, Administratrix.
- Last Edited: 28 May 2011
Family: Frances Lucretia Mitchell b. 22 January 1821, d. 5 February 1892
- Helen Duncan McDougald b. 3 April 1842, d. 23 May 1843
- Sarah E. McDougald b. 23 April 1844, d. 23 February 1923
- Frances Eason McDougald+ b. 22 March 1846, d. 24 October 1907
- Helen McDougald+ b. June 1847, d. 6 July 1908
- Effie McDougald+ b. 21 December 1850, d. 18 July 1933
- Alique McDougald b. circa 1855, d. 3 February 1931