Robert Daniel Goree
M, b. 15 December 1838, d. 23 June 1923
Robert Daniel Goree|b. 15 Dec 1838\nd. 23 Jun 1923|p2517.htm|Langston James Goree|b. 19 Sep 1793\nd. 5 Jul 1853|p2689.htm|Sarah Williams Kittrell|b. 26 Apr 1807\nd. 17 Jun 1903|p2690.htm|John Goree|b. 21 May 1727\nd. c 1807|p2696.htm|Lucy Liles|b. 20 Oct 1748\nd. 15 Feb 1832|p8501.htm|Bryant Kittrell|b. c 1779\nd. 1836|p2691.htm|Mary A. Norman|b. c 1776|p2692.htm|
- Father: Langston James Goree b. 19 September 1793, d. 5 July 1853
- Mother: Sarah Williams Kittrell b. 26 April 1807, d. 17 June 1903
- Robert Daniel Goree was born on 15 December 1838 in Alabama.
- Langston James Goree and Sarah Williams Kittrell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 in Perry County, Alabama. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Robert Daniel Goree, Samuel Escridge Goree, Mary Frances Goree, Anna Goree and Thomas Jewett Goree. Also in the household was a second female aged 30-39, whose identity is unknown, and may have been in the household in 1830.
- Sarah Williams Kittrell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Dayton PO, Polk County, Texas. Other members of the household included Robert Daniel Goree, Thomas Jewett Goree, Langston James Goree Jr., Edwin King Goree, Pleasant Kittrell Goree and Susan Margaret Goree. Thomas Jewett Goree also was enumerated as a lawyer in Montgomery County.
- He was working on the farm, according to the 1860 census.
- Robert D. Goree entered CSA service at Madisonville on 25 March 1862 for a period of 12 months as a private in Company B, 6th (Gould's) Battalion Texas Cavalry, and was appointed quartermaster sergeant on 9 August 1962. He was captured on 9 April 1864 at Pleasant Hill, Georgia, and appears on a roll of prisoners of war delivered by Maj. Genl. Banks, USA, to Maj. Genl. Taylor, CSA, 20 April 1864, at Blair's Landing, Louisiana.
- He married (?) Hayes Melissa, daughter of Dr. James Hayes and Unknown (?), say 1863.
- Robert Daniel Goree became a widower at the October 1866 death of his wife (?) Hayes Melissa.
- He married Frances Rebecca Campbell, daughter of John Wesley Campbell and Ann Williamson Clark, in January 1869.
- Robert Daniel Goree and Frances Rebecca Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Midway, Madison County, Texas, Also enumerated in the household were Young (age 13) and Mollie (age 9) Hodge, both born in Texas, probably children of a sister of Robert, most likely Anna.. Other members of the household included Robert Campbell Goree, Sarah Williams Kittrell and Lucy Bettie Kittrell.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1870 census.
- The following appeared on 12 December 1874 in The Galveston Daily News: (Houston County) The steam gin of Mr. R. D. Goree's at Nevill's Prairie, was totally destroyed by fire on Wednesday last, from a match having got into the machinery. Twenty-four bales of cotton were destroyed. Loss, $2,400. Insurance, $2,000.
- He was a stock raiser, according to the 1880 census.
- Robert Daniel Goree and Frances Rebecca Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Baylor County, Texas. Other members of the household included Ann Clark Goree, Edwin Sue Goree and Frances Langston Goree.
- He was a land agent, according to the 1900 census.
- Robert Daniel Goree and Frances Rebecca Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Knox County, Texas, near the Thomasson family.. Other members of the household included Ann Clark Goree, Edwin Sue Goree, Frances Langston Goree and John Wesley Campbell. Ann, Eddie Sue and Fannie also were enumerated in Austin.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1910 census.
- Robert Daniel Goree became a widower at the 1912 death of his wife Frances Rebecca Campbell.
- Bryant Kittrell Goree and Lucie Caroline Wren appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas, at 1406 South Adams living next to. Other members of the household included Robert Daniel Goree, Bryant Kittrell Goree Jr. and Martha Frances Goree.
- Robert Daniel Goree died on 23 June 1923 at age 84 in Riverside County, California.
- He was buried at Knox City Cemetery in Knox City, Knox County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 24 Feb 2013
Family 1: (?) Hayes Melissa b. say 1838, d. October 1866
Family 2: Frances Rebecca Campbell b. 2 February 1846, d. 31 March 1912
- Robert Campbell Goree+ b. 16 January 1870, d. 8 September 1943
- Ann Clark Goree b. 20 January 1872, d. 24 September 1968
- Bryant Kittrell Goree+ b. 19 March 1875, d. 23 September 1966
- Robert Gould Goree+ b. 27 October 1879, d. 3 March 1961
- Edwin Sue Goree b. 14 May 1884, d. 9 June 1961
- Frances Langston Goree b. August 1889