Harriet Newell Melton
F, b. 10 January 1827, d. 22 October 1884
Harriet Newell Melton|b. 10 Jan 1827\nd. 22 Oct 1884|p21080.htm|Michael Hendrick Melton||p21109.htm|Rachael Cockrum||p21110.htm|||||||||||||
- Harriet Newell Melton was born on 10 January 1827 in Indiana.
- She married John Philip Koonce, son of Zeno Koonce and Alice (?), circa 1843 in Yalobusha County, Mississippi.
- John Philip Koonce and Harriet Newell Melton appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Hallettsville PO, Lavaca County, Texas, enumerated a few households from the Best/Dunham family and Joel Ponton's family.. Other members of the household included Elizabeth Koonce. For some reason, possibly enumerator error, daughter Winifred is not in the household.
- Harriet Newell Melton became a widow at the 1 February 1863 death of her husband John Philip Koonce.
- Harriet Newell Melton appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Lavaca County, North Carolina. Other members of the household included Julia Koonce, Josephine Koonce, Lilia Koonce, Winifred Pauline Koonce, Eben Best and Bathsheba Treatise Best. The name and age of the youngest Koonce child in the household are indecipherable.
- She married Joel E. Ponton on 8 October 1871 in Lavaca County, Texas, and Harriet's daughters Elizabeth and Winifred married sons of Joel Ponton..
- Harriet Newell Melton became a widow at the 2 February 1875 death of her husband Joel E. Ponton.
- Harriet Newell Melton died on 22 October 1884 at age 57 in Fayette County, Texas.
- She was buried at Salem Cemetery in Ezzell, Lavaca County, Texas.
- A single grave marker identifies the graves of Harriet Newell Melton and John Philip Koonce.
- Last Edited: 19 May 2011
Family 1: John Philip Koonce b. 10 January 1827, d. 1 February 1863
- Elizabeth Koonce+ b. 9 August 1844, d. 10 August 1925
- Winifred Pauline Koonce+ b. 8 June 1850, d. 21 July 1936
- Julia Koonce b. circa 1855
- Josephine Koonce b. circa 1857
- Lilia Koonce b. circa 1863
Family 2: Joel E. Ponton b. 3 July 1802, d. 2 February 1875