F, b. 6 October 1869, d. 5 October 1948
Cornelia Carter|b. 6 Oct 1869\nd. 5 Oct 1948|p2003.htm|Thomas J. Carter|b. c 1832|p2957.htm|Margaret Dunn|b. c 1832|p2958.htm|||||||||||||
- Cornelia Carter was born on 6 October 1869 in Alabama.
- Thomas J. Carter and Margaret Dunn appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Gainestown, Clarke County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Cornelia Carter, Virginia Carter.
- Thomas J. Carter and Margaret Dunn appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Colorado County, Texas. Other members of the household included Cornelia Carter, Lillian Antoinette Carter, Theodosia Carter and Mabel Carter.
- She married Preston H. Whitfield, son of John T. Whitfield and Charlotte Wilkerson, on 12 January 1891 in Grimes County, Texas. Cornelia's sisters Lillian and Theodosia married Preston's brothers John and Lee, respectively..
- Preston H. Whitfield and Cornelia Carter appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Montgomery County, Texas.
- Preston H. Whitfield and Cornelia Carter appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Bobbin, Montgomery County, Texas.
- Preston H. Whitfield and Cornelia Carter appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Montgomery County, Texas.
- She officially witnessed the death of Preston H. Whitfield on 2 March 1930 in Freestone County, Texas; of injuries resulting from an automobile accident.
- Cornelia Carter became a widow at the 2 March 1930 death of her husband Preston H. Whitfield.
- The following appeared on 7 March 1930 in The Mexia Weekly Herald: Teague, Mar. 3 (Sp).--Receiving fatal injuries when he was run down by an automobile on the corner of Main and 4th streets in Teague at 9 o'clock Sunday night, E. [sic] H. Whitfield, 61, Teague city nightwatchman, died at his home at 2 o'clock Monday morning.
Thomas Dunn, 22, son of E. P. Dunn, foreman for the T. & B. V. railroad, was driving the Ford car which struck the old man as he attempted to cross the street early Sunday night. One companion was in the car with Dunn.
No arrests had been made at noon but Dunn and many witnesses who were on the streets at the time of the accident had been summoned to appear before Justice of the Peace William Gaines and County Attorney G. V. Geppert at 1 o'clock Monday afternoon for an investigation of the accident.
The driver of the car failed to halt as he passed the "Stop-sign" at the intersection of 4th and Main street. Whitfield was run down and dragged for some distance.
Whitfield, who is survived by his wife, Mrs. Cornelia Whitfield, was being buried in the Teague city cemetery at 4 o'clock Monday afternoon. Rev. E. H. Tirey officiated at the ceremonies.
Clamping down the law as the result of this fatal accident, drivers of 86 automobiles were arrested for failing to stop at the Main and 4th street "stop-sign" Monday morning, it is reported.
- Cornelia Carter appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Teague, Freestone County, Texas, at Eighth Avenue.
- Cornelia Carter appeared in the 1939 Brownwood, Texs, City Directory at 1412 Avenue D listed as widow of P. H. Whitfield..
- Cornelia Carter appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Brownwood, Brown County, Texas, at 1210 Irma Street. Also in the household was her nephew Wayne Guthrie, age 18, a college student.
- At the time of her death Cornelia Carter was living in Bangs, Brown County, Texas.
- Cornelia Carter died on 5 October 1948 at age 78 in Brownwood, Brown County, Texas, at Medical Arts Hospital . Her death was officially witnessed by Nina Carter.
- She was buried in Bangs, Brown County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 10 Aug 2012
Family: Preston H. Whitfield b. 13 May 1869, d. 2 March 1930