John Gibbs Ruan
M, b. December 1847, d. 2 February 1907
John Gibbs Ruan|b. Dec 1847\nd. 2 Feb 1907|p17960.htm|John Gibbs Ruan|b. 5 Jan 1798\nd. 28 Oct 1868|p17958.htm|Amanda M. Kilbee|b. 9 Nov 1817\nd. 18 Mar 1899|p17957.htm|John Ruan|b. 9 Jun 1771\nd. 2 Jul 1845|p17974.htm|Elizabeth Gibbs|d. s 1804|p17975.htm|William T. Kilbee||p17982.htm|Huldah (?)|b. c 1801|p17995.htm|
- Father: John Gibbs Ruan b. 5 January 1798, d. 28 October 1868
- Mother: Amanda M. Kilbee b. 9 November 1817, d. 18 March 1899
- John Gibbs Ruan was born in December 1847 in Florida.
- John Gibbs Ruan and Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included John Gibbs Ruan, Rebecca L. Clark, Susan Mary Clark, Mary Eliza Ruan, William R. Ruan and William Rodman Ruan.
- John Gibbs Ruan and Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Apalachicola, Franklin County, Florida. Other members of the household included John Gibbs Ruan, Mary Eliza Ruan, William R. Ruan, Laura Caroline Ruan, Annie Campbell Ruan, Martha Rodman Ruan, Rebecca L. Clark, Susan Mary Clark and William Rodman Ruan. Physician Robert Williamson, age 55, was is living nearby.
- He married Rebecca Tinsley, daughter of William Bowe Tinsley and Sarah Grantland Davies, circa 1873, and and Rebecca's brother Fleming married John's sister Martha..
- Amanda M. Kilbee appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, at 109 First Street. Other members of the household included John Gibbs Ruan, Mary Eliza Ruan, Annie Campbell Ruan, Martha Rodman Ruan, Rebecca Tinsley, Addison Tinsley Ruan, Rebecca Tinsley Ruan and John Gibbs Ruan Jr.
- He was a cotton buyer, according to the 1880 census.
- On 18 April 1885, Amanda M. Kilbee wrote to Ann Williamson Clark:
My Dear Sister,
It has been a long time since I wrote you but I always love dearly to hear from you and all your children. Twice Susie has sent me your letters to read which I assure you gave me great pleasure to hear how all yr children and grand children were getting along, My own children are all well, Eliza & Annie C are at home with me. Susie you know is in Atlanta and Mattie is still living in Selma Ala. My two Sons are still in the cotton business and seem to be doing very well. John has five Children, all well but the youngest, which is quite a delicate child, we think from having whooping caught when very young. He is nearly two years old. All the Johnstons and Mrs. Butler are well, but Mrs. Butler health is very poor generally. Carrie Johnston, now Mrs. Duncan, has a Son. I have just written to Susie and enclosed a letter from my sister Mrs. Myrick who lives in Marianna, in which Col. McLennan asks for your address. He is a lawyer living in Marianna and says he thinks your Fathers Estate own about 1000 (one thousand) acres of land which has been lately sold to the R R company and that if proper steps were taken would be worth something to his Gen Clarks heirs, unless Bared by the Statute of limitation, Tell Archie it will be something he can look into. I am sorry I do not know his first name or his enitials -- but will send your address this afternoon and hope you will soon hear from him. Have you the titles to the one acre reserved around the grave lot? I have none, and if you have you may want to have them on a new record or to have the claim well substanciated, My own health is very good, only I have a cough which gives me some trouble occasionally. I shall hope to hear from you soon, and with good success to all parties -- and believe me ever your loving sister, A. M. Ruan
The envelope is addressed to Mrs. A. W. Campbell, Care A. R. Campbell, Esq., Galveston, Texas, and pencilled in another hand on the face of the envelope, "Mrs. Amanda Ruan, Macon, Georgia." Minimal punctuation added by the transcriber to enhance readability.
- John Gibbs Ruan and Rebecca Tinsley appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia, at First Street. Other members of the household included Rebecca Tinsley Ruan, John Gibbs Ruan Jr., Sidney Ruan, Mary Elizabeth Ruan and Albert Gibbs Ruan.
- He was a cotton broker, according to the 1900 census.
- John Gibbs Ruan became a widower at the 24 January 1905 death of his wife Rebecca Tinsley.
- The following appeared on 11 August 1906 in The Macon Daily Telegraph: (Bibb County) Fleming D. Tinsley, having applied for letters of guardianship for the person and property of Albert G. Ruan. This is, therefore, to notify all persons interested that his application will be heard on the first Monday in September, 1906. C. M. Wiley, Ordinary.
- John Gibbs Ruan died on 2 February 1907 at age 59 in Smyrna, Cobb County, Georgia, or the 3rd.
- He was buried at Riverside Cemetery in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia.
- The following appeared on 3 February 1908 in The Macon Daily Telegraph: The death of John G. Ruan, Sr., at Smyrna, near Atlanta, yesterday, came as sad news to many who knew him as a good citizen of Macon for many years. The remains will reach Macon at 11:20 o'clock this morning. The funeral services will be held at Christ Church this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. Walter Mitchell, rector-in-charge, officiating. Interment at Riverside.
Mr. Ruan was 57 years of age at the time of his death. He was born in Appalachicola, Fla. and came to Macon in 1875. He was well known as a buyer and exporter of cotton, and was associated at one time with the father of Capt. W. L. Starr and later with Mr. J. P. Roosevelt. Leaving the cotton business he became interested in the manufacture of bricks.
Of late years Mr. Ruan has been in feeble health. He was a quiet, unassuming gentleman, and a good man. He was married to Miss Tinsly, a sister of Messrs. A. R., T. D. and F. D. Tinsly. He leaves three children, John G. Ruan, Addison Ruan and Mrs. W. L. Starr.
- Last Edited: 27 Aug 2012
Family: Rebecca Tinsley b. 14 May 1850, d. 24 January 1905
- Addison Tinsley Ruan b. 17 April 1876, d. 29 November 1930
- Rebecca Tinsley Ruan+ b. 26 June 1877, d. 23 December 1927
- John Gibbs Ruan Jr. b. 20 February 1879, d. 21 March 1960
- Sidney Ruan b. 27 March 1886, d. 28 February 1974
- Mary Elizabeth Ruan b. February 1893, d. 6 February 1919
- Albert Gibbs Ruan b. 15 October 1894, d. 29 May 1925