M, b. 16 January 1781, d. 14 February 1859
- John Shields was born on 16 January 1781 in North Carolina.
- He married Elizabeth Paulding, daughter of Robert Pauling and Harriette (?), say 1810.
- John Shields and Elizabeth Paulding appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1830 in Dallas County, Alabama.
- He married Keziah Adams, daughter of Unknown Adams and Unknown (?), on 7 January 1835 in Marengo County, Alabama.
- By Act No. 65 of the Alabama Legislature, approved 21 December 1836, incorporation of the Lexington & Woodville Railroad Company, with Lewis B. Mosely president, and James Williams, Rufus W. Greeting, Thomas E. B. Pegues, Benjamin F. Adams, William Chapman, Peter Vanorden, John Shields, William J. McKerall, James B. Chambers, Abner C. Mobley and John F. Huckaby, as directors, the railroad to commence at Lexington, on the Alabama river, in the county of Dallas, and extend to some oint at or near Woodville, in the County of Perry, with a branch from some convenient point to the town of Greensborough, in the county of Green, whenever it may seem proper so to do.
- John Shields appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 enumerated next to Felix G. Adams.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1850 census. on 1 June 1850.
- William Bryan Shields and Elizabeth Jane Cochran appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Boug Chitto, Dallas County, Alabama. Other members of the household included John Shields, John M. Shields and Ellen Shields.
- Research Note: If John Shields and Keziah Adams were married in 1835, why were they not enumerated together in the 1850 census?
- John Shields died on 14 February 1859 at age 78.
- He was buried at Martins Station Cemetery in Dallas County, Alabama.
- Last Edited: 4 May 2012
Family 1: Elizabeth Paulding b. say 1781, d. 16 June 1834
- Lawrence Shields b. say 1812
- Edward Y. Shields b. say 1814
- Richard Singleton Shields b. 12 December 1816, d. 23 August 1839
- John Brooks Shields b. say 1818
- Huldah Ann Shields+ b. 26 February 1820, d. 9 January 1867
- William Bryan Shields+ b. 29 September 1821, d. 10 September 1887
- Robert Paulding Shields b. 14 November 1823, d. 12 November 1848
- Harriot Elizabeth Shields+ b. 21 November 1825, d. 1 August 1901
Family 2: Keziah Adams b. circa 1789