M, b. 12 January 1792, d. June 1878
John Rugeley|b. 12 Jan 1792\nd. Jun 1878|p15728.htm|Henry Rugeley|b. 8 Mar 1743\nd. 18 Dec 1796|p15731.htm|Elizabeth Cook||p15732.htm|Rowland Rugeley||p15733.htm|Elizabeth Ginn||p15737.htm|||||||
- John Rugeley was born on 12 January 1792 in Camden District, South Carolina.
- He married Parthenia Irvin on 12 June 1814.
- John Rugeley became a widower at the between 1831 and 1833 death of his wife Parthenia Irvin.
- He married Eliza Clopton Colgin on 12 February 1833.
- John Rugeley and Eliza Clopton Colgin appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Matagorda County, Texas. Other members of the household included Parthenia Irvin Rugeley, John William Rugeley, Sarah A. Rugeley, Dr. Henry Lowndes Rugeley, Robert H. Rugeley, Eliza Rugeley, James A. Rugeley and Frank Rugeley. Also in the household were two overseers and two brick masons.
- He was a planter, according to the 1850 census.
- John Rugeley and Eliza Clopton Colgin appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Hardeman PO, Matagorda County, Texas. Other members of the household included Dr. Henry Lowndes Rugeley, Robert H. Rugeley, Eliza Rugeley, James A. Rugeley, Frank Rugeley, Edgar Rugeley, Erwin Rugeley and Carrie Rugeley.
- He was a planter, according to the 1860 census.
- John Rugeley became a widower at the 8 December 1868 death of his wife Eliza Clopton Colgin.
- John Rugeley appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Upper Caney, Matagorda County, Texas. Other members of the household included Robert H. Rugeley, Dr. Henry Lowndes Rugeley, Elizabeth Tabitha Elmore, Elmore Rugeley and Ashton Rugeley.
- He was a retired planter, according to the 1870 census.
- John Rugeley died in June 1878 at age 86 in Bay Prairie, Matagorda County, Texas, at the home of his son Edward.
- He was buried at Rugeley family cemetery in Caney Creek, Matagorda County, Texas.
- It is quite possible that Rebecca was a daughter of John Rugeley, who appears to have been in Lowndes County, Alabama, in 1840, and relocated to Texas sometime before 1850.
- For additional biographical information, see The Texas Handbook Online.
- Last Edited: 9 Oct 2012
Family 1: Parthenia Irvin b. say 1795, d. between 1831 and 1833
- Alexander Irvin Rugeley+ b. circa 1817
- Alphonzo Irvin Rugeley b. 20 October 1819, d. September 1864
- Edward Salmon Rugeley+ b. 12 September 1822, d. 21 December 1897
- Parthenia Irvin Rugeley b. 10 May 1831
Family 2: Eliza Clopton Colgin b. 30 September 1813, d. 8 December 1868
- John William Rugeley+ b. 1 December 1833, d. 22 April 1862
- Sarah A. Rugeley b. circa 1836
- Dr. Henry Lowndes Rugeley+ b. 12 January 1838, d. 6 May 1925
- Robert H. Rugeley b. circa 1840
- Eliza Rugeley b. circa 1844
- James A. Rugeley b. circa 1846
- Frank Rugeley+ b. circa 1848, d. 25 May 1920
- Edgar Rugeley b. circa 1851
- Erwin Rugeley b. circa 1854
- Carrie Rugeley b. circa 1858