Martha Clarana Reed
F, b. 27 July 1853, d. 4 January 1929
Martha Clarana Reed|b. 27 Jul 1853\nd. 4 Jan 1929|p13.htm|Samuel Reed|b. c 1820\nd. c 1858|p14.htm|Martha Frances Harrison|b. c 1830\nd. c 1875|p15.htm|||||||Joseph P. Harrison|b. 22 Feb 1807\nd. 23 Dec 1881|p16.htm|Lucy Burch|b. c 1805\nd. bt 1837 - 1838|p2163.htm|
Martha Clarana "Mattie" Reed Wood, 1852-1929
- Father: Samuel Reed b. circa 1820, d. circa 1858
- Mother: Martha Frances Harrison b. circa 1830, d. circa 1875
- Sam Reed
entered into an agreement on 31 December 1850 with William M. Barrett to do all the brick work of Austin College, for the sum of $750.00, to be completed by 1 January 1852. The building, whose cornerstone was laid on Saint John's day, 24 June 1851, was constructed of soft sand-molded bricks forged at the state penitentiary. It still stands as "Austin Hall" at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville. Green Wood's son Campbell attended Austin College from 1855 to 1857. Sam Reed's daughter Mattie married Green Wood's grandson Solomon Wm Wood in 1873, and the following year Sam's daughter Katie married Green's grandson Rush Brevard Wood. On 28 November 1851, Green Wood "Paid Daniel Baker $50, my subscription to Austin College."
- Martha Clarana Reed was born on 27 July 1853 in Dodge, Walker County, Texas.
- She was known as Mattie.
- Peter Royal and Martha Frances Harrison appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Martha Clarana Reed, Mary Sanford Reed and Katie Bertha Reed.
- Peter Royal and Martha Frances Harrison appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Martha Clarana Reed, Henry Royal, Katie Bertha Reed, Robert James Tedford and William Dickson Tedford.
- She married Solomon William Wood, son of Green Mark Wood and Mary Jane LeGrand, on 18 June 1873 in Walker County, Texas.
- Solomon William Wood appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Martha Clarana Reed, Mary Jane Wood, Solomon William Wood Jr., Green Alexander Wood and Fannie Goree Wood.
- Solomon and Mattie Wood and their children posed for a photograph in 1893.
- Solomon William Wood and Martha Clarana Reed appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Anderson, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Rush Brevard Wood, Henry Campbell Wood, Walter Warren Wood, Homer LeGrand Wood, Ella Lynn Wood, Solomon William Wood Jr. and Elizabeth B. Hurst. It is worthy of note that birth information for the entire family is extraordinarily inaccurate.
- The following appeared on 23 May 1909 in the Galveston Daily News: G. A. Wood arrived Friday and spent the day with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. W. Wood.
- Solomon William Wood and Martha Clarana Reed appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Grimes County, Texas, living next to their daughter Mary Easley.. Other members of the household included Ella Lynn Wood.
- Members of the Haynie and Wood families, and some neighbors, were photographed in front of "the Haynie hotel" in Richards, about 1911.
- Snapshots were taken of Mattie & Solomon William Wood, about 1919, with granddaughters Eloise Cecil & Fannie Kate Wood.
- Rush Brevard Wood and Claudia Gertrude Bay appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Richards, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Martha Clarana Reed, William Boyd Wood, Walter Warren Wood, Solomon William Wood, Henry Campbell Wood, Claude Irvin Wood and Myrtle Ernestine Bay.
- A snapshot was taken about 1920 of Mattie Reed Wood and her daughters Mary Easley and Lynn Cecil.
- Mattie Reed Wood and granddaughter Isabel Haynie on the porch swing, about 1920.
- Martha Clarana Reed became a widow at the 5 October 1922 death of her husband Solomon William Wood.
- Martha Clarana Reed died on 4 January 1929 at age 75.
- She was buried at Fairview Cemetery in Grimes County, Texas, near Richards.
- The following appeared on 11 January 1929 in the Navasota Examiner: The "Grim Reaper" has been busy in our town, have had four deaths within ten days. On Friday afternoon at 7:30 Mrs. Solomon Wood passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ira Haynie. Mrs. Wood was making her home with Mrs. Haynie due to the fact that her grandson Billie Wood who she had raised left for college in September and it left her alone. Billie came home for the holidays and fell a victim of the flu. His grandmother stayed with him until she too was taken sick and it was more than her strength could over come. She was 75 years old in July. Everything that loved ones and physician and nurse could do was done for her but to no avail. Her suffering was intense, but she bore it as she always bore her sufferings with patience. She was a devoted mother, one who could not do too much for her children and grand children. She was a member of the Christian church uniting when a girl a firm believer in its doctrines. She was beloved by neighbors and her memory will be reverened by all. To know her was to love her. She was tenderly laid to rest in the Fairview cemetery Saturday afternoon. She leaves to mourn her loss, eight children, a host of relatives, grand children and friends. But we realize our loss is Heaven's gain. "One who loved her." Just above this entry appears: Billie Wood who has been seriously ill was carried to Houston Monday. Reports stated yesterday that pneumonia had developed.
- A single grave marker identifies the graves of Martha Clarana Reed and Solomon William Wood.
- Last Edited: 16 May 2013
- Charts: Descendants of ABERCROMBIE Charles & Edwina Malinda "Dicey" Booth, Descendants of LeGRAND John & Margaret Chambers, Descendants of WOOD William & Lydia Ballentine
Family: Solomon William Wood b. 26 January 1849, d. 5 October 1922
- Mary Jane Wood+ b. 6 July 1874, d. 24 October 1960
- Solomon William Wood Jr.+ b. 12 May 1876, d. 13 September 1958
- Green Alexander Wood+ b. 31 December 1877, d. 3 August 1909
- Fannie Goree Wood+ b. 22 January 1880, d. 11 June 1960
- Rush Brevard Wood+ b. 6 March 1882, d. 25 April 1939
- Henry Campbell Wood+ b. 3 January 1885, d. 23 December 1951
- Walter Warren Wood+ b. 3 September 1886, d. 23 December 1949
- Alexander Wood b. 15 September 1888, d. 1888
- Homer LeGrand Wood+ b. 5 March 1892, d. March 1972
- Ella Lynn Wood+ b. 31 December 1895, d. 2 February 1977