Sidney Ernest Torbert
M, b. 30 September 1881, d. 11 August 1967
Sidney Ernest Torbert|b. 30 Sep 1881\nd. 11 Aug 1967|p1222.htm|James Anthony Torbert|b. 20 Feb 1853\nd. 8 Mar 1924|p52.htm|Anna Mary Pegues|b. 25 Sep 1859\nd. 4 May 1945|p53.htm|Thomas J. Torbert|b. 10 Sep 1824\nd. 1 Apr 1904|p54.htm|Rebecca P. Sledge|b. 20 Mar 1833\nd. 21 Feb 1895|p55.htm|James B. Pegues|b. 3 Nov 1836\nd. 11 Aug 1901|p64.htm|Ann E. Brodnax|b. c 1840\nd. c 1883|p65.htm|
- Father: James Anthony Torbert b. 20 February 1853, d. 8 March 1924
- Mother: Anna Mary Pegues b. 25 September 1859, d. 4 May 1945
- Sidney Ernest Torbert was born on 30 September 1881 in Old Spring Hill, Marengo County, Alabama, or possibly 1880.
- He was known as Ernest.
- James Anthony Torbert and Anna Mary Pegues appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Jackson's Store Precinct, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Sidney Ernest Torbert, Florence Edna Torbert, Thomas Jefferson Torbert, Sarah Decima Torbert, James Everett Torbert, Rebecca Pegues Torbert, George Whitfield Torbert, Sylvester Sledge Torbert and James Bartholomew Pegues.
- He married Willie Lee Walston, daughter of Robert A. Sullivan and Nancy Ann Walston, on 17 June 1908 in Linden, Marengo County, Alabama.
- The following appeared on 23 August 1912 in The Montgomery Advertiser: (Demopolis, Aug. 22) The first bale of new cotton received at this market this season came in from Linden yesterday. It was brought in by S. E. Torbert, residing near Linden and stored at Webb's warehouse. The cotton was bought by L. B. McCarty for A. L. Lehman and Company, the price being 12 cents. This bale was made on the Adams place near Linden, and was ginned in Linden. The bale of cotton weighed 514 pounds. A bale of this season's loose cotton, raised on Captain J. C. Webb's Oak place, reached the city about two hours after the first bale.
- The Torbert brothers were photographed together about 1915.
- Sidney Ernest Torbert registered for the draft on 12 September 1918 in Linden, Marengo County, Alabama, while living in Linden, and self-employed there as a farmer.
- Sidney Ernest Torbert and Willie Lee Walston appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Whistler, Mobile County, Alabama, at Culbert Street. Other members of the household included Ernestine Ward Torbert, Annie Glass Torbert and Willie Josephine Torbert.
- He was manager of a grocery store, according to the 1920 census.
- Sidney Ernest Torbert became a widower at the 26 March 1948 death of his wife Willie Lee Walston.
- He married Hattie Friddle Honeycutt on 16 November 1952 in Linden, Marengo County, Alabama, Katherine O'Byrne King family history.
- Sidney Ernest Torbert died on 11 August 1967 at age 85 in Thomaston, Marengo County, Alabama.
- He was buried at Thomaston Cemetery in Thomaston, Marengo County, Alabama.
- Last Edited: 31 Dec 2012