Leroy Pope Walker
b. 7 February 1817, d. 23 August 1884
- Leroy Pope Walker was born on 7 February 1817 in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama.
- Leroy Pope Walker attended the University of Alabama, 1833-1836, in the Junior class at time of withdrawal.
- He married Unknown (?) say 1838, likely in Mississippi.
- Leroy Pope Walker and Unknown (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 in Jackson County, Alabama. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Clifton Walker.
- Leroy Pope Walker became a widower at the say 1845 death of his wife.
- He married Eliza Dickson Pickett, daughter of William Dickson Pickett and Eliza Goddard Whitman, on 29 July 1850 in Autauga County, Alabama.
- Leroy Pope Walker and Eliza Dickson Pickett appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Florence, Lauderdale County, Alabama, although they were not married until two months after the official date of the census, actual date of enumeration was 19 December.
- The following appeared on 2 August 1850 in the Tri-Weekly Alabama Journal: Married. At Robinson's Springs, Autauga county, on Monday, the 29th ult., by the Rev. J. H. Morrison, Hon. Leroy Pope Walker, of Florence, Ala., to Miss Eliza Dickson Pickett, of this city.
- He was a circuit court judge, according to the 1850 census.
- Leroy Pope Walker and Eliza Dickson Pickett appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Matilda Walker and Pope Walker.
- He was a lawyer, according to the 1860 census.
- He General Walker served as the first Secretary of War of the Confederacy and authorized the bombardment of Ft. Sumter in 1861.
- Leroy Pope Walker died on 23 August 1884 at age 67.
- He was buried at Maple Hill Cemetery in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama.
- Last Edited: 31 Mar 2012