b. 20 March 1835, d. 28 July 1880
- Father: Samuel Washington Lindley b. circa 1788, d. circa 1859
- Mother: Elizabeth Whitley b. December 1795, d. 1838
- Elijah Lindley was born on 20 March 1835 in Texas or possibly 8 February.
- Samuel Washington Lindley and Martha Taylor appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Elijah Lindley, John Lindley, James Lindley, Mahala Lindley and Amanda Marie Lindley.
- He married Eliza Tolbert, daughter of John Tolbert and Margaret Elizabeth Collard, on 20 August 1855 in Walker County, Texas, with Rev. Isaac Taylor officiating. Eliza's mother was the third wife of Elijah's father.
- On Monday, 28 November 1859, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Picked out cotton for Estate of S. Lindley," repeated on the following day, and on Wednesday, the 30th, "Picked out cotton for Lindley's Estate & some for E. L." On Thursday, 1 December, "Picked out E. Lindley's cotton, finished."
- Elijah Lindley and Eliza Tolbert appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Montgomery PO, Montgomery County, Texas, enumerated next to Elijah's sister Rachel Lindley Kelton, widow of Eliza's first husband's brother. And on the other side were Hiram and Mary Lindley Little, Elijah's elder sister, whose daughter was the wife of Eliza's brother William.. Other members of the household included Mary C. Kelton, Robert Franklin Kelton Jr., John Tolbert Lindley, E. Lindley and Caroline Lindley.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1860 census.
- Elijah Lindley became a widower at the circa 1869 death of his wife Eliza Tolbert.
- Elijah Lindley appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Midway PO, Madison County, Texas. Other members of the household included John Tolbert Lindley, Caroline Lindley and Emma Delilah Lindley. Also in the household was H. French, age 7.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1870 census.
- He married Margaret E. McGill, daughter of Walter McGill and Isabella (?), circa 1871.
- Elijah Lindley and Margaret E. McGill appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Bald Prairie, Robertson County, Texas. Other members of the household included Emma Delilah Lindley, Evaline Martha Lindley and James Walter Lindley.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1880 census.
- Elijah Lindley died on 28 July 1880 at age 45.
- He was buried at Ferguson Cemetery in Limestone County, Texas.
- For an account of his CSA service in Company B, 24th Texas Cavalry Regiment, see his profile in Karen McCann Hett's Danville Mounted Riflemen.
- Last Edited: 3 Dec 2011