Samuel Dunbar Wooldridge
b. 21 September 1823, d. 18 May 1890
- Father: Samuel C. Wooldridge b. say 1803
- Mother: Elizabeth Ann McDaniel b. 11 December 1800, d. 26 May 1867
- Samuel Dunbar Wooldridge was born on 21 September 1823 in Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi.
- In 1847 he attended the New Orleans Medical College.
- He was a physician, according to the 1850 census.
- He married Catherine Elizabeth McCan, daughter of James McCan and Sarah S. Viser, on 29 April 1852 in Danville, Montgomery County, Texas.
- Samuel Dunbar Wooldridge and Catherine Elizabeth McCan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Edmond Daniel Thomas Wooldridge, John Houston Dunbar Wooldridge and J. W. B. Thomason.
- He was a physician, according to the 1860 census.
- On Saturday, 6 October 1860, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Sold G. D. Martin 80 head of cattle at $5 per head, counter Branded below the old Brand," and on the following day, "Sold 80 head of cattle to G. D. Martin Branded yesterday with my Brand below the old Brand & he drove them off today, $5 per head in a Note on Doctor Woldrige."
- On Monday, 7 April 1862, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Capt. Wooldridge & company left this morning. Started a Waggon Ben (Harris) driving to red river Alexandria with Lieut. Hill and his recruits for Capt. Powell's company." And on Sunday, the 27th, "Ben got back with waggon from Alexandria, Lieut. Hill & [illegible], 3 weeks trip."
- Samuel Dunbar Wooldridge and Catherine Elizabeth McCan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Danville, Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Edmond Daniel Thomas Wooldridge, John Houston Dunbar Wooldridge and Maude E. Wooldridge. Also in the household was a domestic servant and her family.
- He was a physician, according to the 1870 census.
- Samuel Dunbar Wooldridge and John Dickey appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Willis, Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included John Houston Dunbar Wooldridge and Maude E. Wooldridge. Also in the household was Kate Karber, age 6, identified as a niece, and one female domestic servant.
- He was a physician, according to the 1880 census.
- Evelina Wood wrote from Willis, Texas, to her grandson Wood Powell in Christian County, Illinois on 12 April 1887, ". . . Ella is assisting Mrs. Woolridge in preparing for Maud's wedding (the only daughter) She marries on the 14, next Thursday night. A Mr. Watson who stands well in Willis. he is a dry goods clerk in T. W. Smith's store. Ella assisted in making ten large cakes yesterday & they are finishing them this morning. Ella’s afternoon will be devoted to icing & embossing them. she had several cakes baked here & will prepare some of the meats in her kitchen. Mrs. W. knows very little about such things. . . . Billie & Josie will be in to the wedding. Dr. W. lives across the street from us. I expect to witness the ceremony. . . ."
Letter in private collection of B. M. Henwood, descendant of Wm Wood Powell; original transcription by R. E. Reichardt. Minimal punctuation added to enhance readability.
- Samuel Dunbar Wooldridge died on 18 May 1890 at age 66.
- He was buried at Willis Cemetery in Willis, Montgomery County, Texas, in a fenced plot just to the right of the main gate.
- For an account of his CSA service with Company B, 24th Texas Cavalry Regiment, see his profile in Karen McCann Hett's Danville Mounted Riflemen.
- The life and military career of Capt. Samuel D. Wooldridge, MD, have been researched by descendant Forrest Carlton Cranor, who was raised in Conroe. His article on the life of Dr. Woodridge was published in The Herald, journal of the Montgomery County [Texas] Genealogical & Historical Society: "Samuel Dunbar Wooldridge, M.D.: A Biography" (Vol. 28, No. 3/4, Fall/Winter 2005).
Now retired in Florida, he is the grandson of Edmond Daniel Thomas Wooldridge who was born in Danville in 1854 to Samuel D. and Catherine (McCan) Wooldridge.
The Herald is available in most major genealogical libraries in Texas, and also may be ordered at your local library through Interlibrary Loan.
- Photographs used with permission, from the collection of F. Carlton Cranor, descendant of Dr. Samuel D. Wooldridge.
- Last Edited: 16 Oct 2014
Family: Catherine Elizabeth McCan b. 13 January 1830, d. 8 June 1928
- Edmond Daniel Thomas Wooldridge+ b. 31 May 1854, d. 20 October 1926
- John Houston Dunbar Wooldridge b. 1856, d. 1916
- Minnie Moss Wooldridge b. 4 March 1861, d. 12 October 1867
- Samuel Henry Fox Wooldridge b. 4 September 1864, d. 12 October 1867
- Maude E. Wooldridge+ b. 27 November 1868, d. 17 July 1944