Sarah Eason Mitchell
b. 15 November 1816, d. 13 April 1872
- Father: John Mitchell b. say 1776, d. 1841
- Mother: Elizabeth Green Wood b. 16 January 1788, d. between 1852 and 1860
- Sarah Eason Mitchell was born on 15 November 1816 in Georgia.
- She married Hiram Wheeler Brooks, son of Ede Wheeler, on 21 March 1832 in Harris County, Georgia, by J. Bedell, Esq.
- The following appeared on 24 March 1832 in The Columbus Enquirer: Married - In Harris Co, Mr Hiram W. Brooks of Apalachicola, Fla to Miss Sarah E. Mitchell, the second dau of Major John Mitchell of Harris Co, on Wednesday last. By J. Bedell, Esq.
- Hiram Wheeler Brooks and Sarah Eason Mitchell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Franklin County, Florida, and also in the household was Robert Thomas Brooks, age 30, probably a brother of Hiram.. Other members of the household included Josephine Caroline Brooks.
- Hiram Wheeler Brooks and Sarah Eason Mitchell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Apalachicola, Franklin County, Florida.
- Sarah Eason Mitchell died on 13 April 1872 at age 55 in Morristown, Morris County, New York.
- Her husband Hiram Wheeler Brooks became a widower at her death.
- The following appeared on 16 April 1872 in The New York Times: [Died] At Morristown, N. J., Saturday, April 13, Sarah, wife of Hiram W. Brooks. Funeral from her late residence, on Wednesday, 17th inst., at 12 o'clock. Friends are respectfully invited to be present. Trains by the Morris and Essex Railroad leave foot of Barclay st. at 9:10 A. M., due at Morristown at 11 A. M.
- The following appeared on 24 April 1872 in the Augusta Daily Chronicle & Sentinel: The New York World, a few days ago, had a notice of the death of the wife of Mr. Hiram Brooks, formerly of Apalachicola, but now of the firm of Nourse & Brooks, of New York. She died at her residence in Morristown, N. J. We are told she was a sister of Mr. Solon Mitchell, of Harris county. Both Mr. Brooks and his late wife have near relations in this section, and many friends and acquaintances.--Columbus Sun.
- She was interred at Evergreen Cemetery, Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey.
- A single grave marker identifies the graves of Hiram Wheeler Brooks and Sarah Eason Mitchell.
- Last Edited: 18 Apr 2013