b. 22 February 1906, d. 3 November 1995
- Elisabeth Hamer was born on 22 February 1906 in McColl, Marlboro County, South Carolina.
- She married Victor Rene Pegues, son of Francis Preston Brooks Pegues and Jennie May Pegues, on 10 June 1939.
- Victor Rene Pegues and Elisabeth Hamer appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in New Hope District, Marlboro County, South Carolina. Other members of the household included Mary Louise Pegues and Preston Brooks Pegues. In 1935 they all were living in the same house.
- Elisabeth Hamer became a widow at the 4 December 1957 death of her husband Victor Rene Pegues.
- The following appeared on 5 December 1957 in The Florence Morning News: (Cheraw, Dec. 4) Victor Rene Pegues, 62, died at his home near here at 8:30 this morning following a heart attack. Son of the late Frank Preston Brooks Pegues and Jennie May Pegues, he was a native and life long resident of Upper Marlboro County where the Pegues family was pioneer settlers, having spent his life on the plantation first settled by his forebears.
Mr. Pegues was a veteran of World War I. In 1948, Mr. and Mrs. Pegues received the master farmer award. He served as director for REA, AAA, the Soil Conservation program and for five years on S.C. Forestry Commission.
He is survived by his widow, the former Miss Elizabeth Hamer of McColl; two daughters, Miss Margaret Rene Pegues, a student at St. Mary's in Raleigh and Miss Frances Elizabeth Pegues of the home; three sisters, Mrs. Paul J. Hammond of Marlboro County, Mrs. Olin M. Pegues of Rockingham, N.C., and Mrs. Hugh W. May of Charleston, W. Va; one brother, W. Leak Pegues of La Marque, Tex.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday from the home in Marlboro County with the Rev. Carl Parker officiating. Burial will be in the family plot in New Hope Cemetery. The body will be at the Redfearn Funeral Home until Thursday morning at 11:30 when it will be taken to his home.
- Elisabeth Hamer died on 3 November 1995 at age 89 in Bennettsville, Marlboro County, South Carolina, at Marlboro Park Hospital.
- She was buried at New Hope Methodist Church Cemetery in Wallace, Marlboro County, South Carolina.
- The following appeared on 4 November 1995 in The Charlottesville Observer: (Bennettsville) Mrs. Elisabeth Hamer Pegues, 89, died Nov. 3, 1995, at Marlboro Park Hospital.
Funeral is 3 p.m. today at First United Methodist Church. Burial is in the Pegues Family Cemetery.
Born in McColl, she was a daughter of the late Dr. Douglas and Mabel Ramsay Hamer. She attended the North Carolina College for Women (now UNC-G) and was a former public school teacher. She was married to the late Victor R. Pegues. After his death in 1957, she made her home in Monroe, NC, before returning to Bennettsville in 1967.
Survivors include two daughters, Mrs. Henry Buck (Frances) Burroughs Jr. of Conway and Mrs. William Light (Peggy) Kinney Jr. of Bennettsville; one brother, George Winston Hamer of Greensboro, NC; and one sister, Mrs. George Lee (Mabel) Simpson of Monroe, NC.
Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 456, Bennettsville, SC 29512; or Pegues Family Cemetery Fund in care of Wachovia Bank, P.O. Box 637, Bennettsville, SC 29512.
Whitner-Evans Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Last Edited: 2 May 2015