b. 17 August 1791, d. 10 December 1857
- Daniel Baker was born on 17 August 1791 in Midway, Liberty County, Georgia.
- He married Elizabeth (?) circa 1815.
- Princeton-educated Presbyterian missionary Dr. Daniel Baker was a founding member of Austin College (1849), served as a general agent for collecting funds for the college, and was president from 1853 to 1857.
- Daniel Baker and Elizabeth (?) appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Howard Baker and Theodorah Baker.
- He was a Presbyterian preacher, according to the 1850 census.
- Sam Reed entered into an agreement on 31 December 1850 with William M. Barrett to do all the brick work of Austin College, for the sum of $750.00, to be completed by 1 January 1852. The building, whose cornerstone was laid on Saint John's day, 24 June 1851, was constructed of soft sand-molded bricks forged at the state penitentiary. It still stands as "Austin Hall" at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville. Green Wood's son Campbell attended Austin College from 1855 to 1857. Sam Reed's daughter Mattie married Green Wood's grandson Solomon Wm Wood in 1873, and the following year Sam's daughter Katie married Green's grandson Rush Brevard Wood. On 28 November 1851, Green Wood "Paid Daniel Baker $50, my subscription to Austin College."
- On Tuesday, 8 April 1851, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Subscribed 100 Dollars to the Austin College payable 1 & 2 years."
- On 27 November 1851, Elizabeth Green Wood and Robert Micajah Powell were married at Greenwood plantation by license issued on 5 November by H. B. Boston, with Presbyterian Minister Daniel Baker officiating.
- On Friday, 28 November 1851, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Paid Parson Baker $50, my subscription to Austin College."
- On Sunday, 2 September 1855, Green Wood recorded in his plantation daily account book: "Started to Huntsville with Campbell Wood to Austin College," and on the following day, "Boarded Campbell at Mr Bakers, paid $40 in advance, Paid $15 in advance for Tuition." On Wednesday, the 5th, "Returned home from Huntsville."
- Daniel Baker died on 10 December 1857 at age 66 in Austin, Travis County, Texas.
- For additional biographical information, see The Handbook of Texas Online.
- Last Edited: 3 Sep 2015