Mary Caroline Campbell

b. 10 February 1872, d. 19 June 1955
  • Mary Caroline Campbell was born on 10 February 1872 in Texas.
  • Clark Calhoun Campbell and Lucy Caroline Goree appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Galveston, Texas, at 5 East Broadway. Other members of the household included Mary Caroline Campbell, Clark Calhoun Campbell Jr., Lucie Frances Campbell, Powhatan Sampson Wren, Martha Campbell, Clark Campbell Wren, Powhatan Sampson Wren Jr. and Ann W. Campbell. Boarders (nieces) Mary and Nannie Campbell are the sisters of Sam Campbell, found nearby in the household of Clark's brother Archibald, all children of Clark's brother Marcus.
  • The following appeared on 10 January 1891 in the Galveston Daily News: District Court, Judge Wm. H. Steward Presiding. John W. Campbell vs. S. W. Campbell et al., partitions; sale for purposes of partition as made by the sheriff is approved and confirmed.
  • Some Campbell cousin "girls" posed for a photograph about 1892.
  • The following appeared on 2 April 1897 in the Galveston Daily News: Deed of partition: Between the heirs of C. L.Campbell, deceased, of southwest quarter of outlot 61, except lots 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14, as follows, to-wit: Samuel W. Campbell, lots 8 and 9; Sarah P. Campbell, lots 7, 15 and 16; Mary C. Campbell, lots 4, 5 and 6; Anna W. Campbell, lots 2 and 3. All said lots in southwest quarter.
  • Sarah Patterson Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Baylor County, Texas. Other members of the household included Mary Caroline Campbell, Ann W. Campbell.
  • The following appeared on 19 August 1902 in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: (Tyler, Tex, Aug. 19) Suit has been filed in the United States distric court here for the recovery of eleven leagues of land of the Manuel Rionda survey in Anderson and Freestone counties. The suit was filed by William H. Williams, Mary D. League, Samuel W. Campbell, John W. Campbell, Sarah P. Campbell, Mary C. Campbell, Annie W. Campbell against Amelia L. Howard, Harry S. Hardee, Francis C. Zachary, Caroline A. Owen, Emma O. Zachary, Florence D. Zachary, Florence T. Ellis and James A. Steqart. The plaintiffs are residents of Texas and other states and defendants reside in Missouri and Louisiana. The suit was instituted by Houston attorneys.
  • Sarah Patterson Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Galveston, Texas, at 2307 Avenue I/J. Other members of the household included Mary Caroline Campbell, Ann W. Campbell.
  • She was a partner in a hotel, according to the 1910 census.
  • She and Wesley Neal Campbell, Marcus A. Campbell, Ann W. Campbell and Samuel Williams Campbell was mentioned in the obituary of John William Campbell that appeared on 16 November 1940 in the Galveston Daily News: Funeral services for Judge John W. Campbell, 74, native and life-long resident of Galveston and a former Galveston County judge, who died about 3 o'clock yesterday morning in a San Antonio hospital, will be held here tomorrow afternoon. The body will arrive here tomorrow morning from San Antonio. Rev. Edmund H. Gibson, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church, will officiate at services to be held at 2:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the J. Levy & Bro. funeral home, and interment will follow in Lakeview Cemetery. Active Pallbearers will be: Sam J. Williams, Cling Wolston, Charles H. Theobald, Charles Gill, Julius Jockusch, Peter B. Erhard, N. S. Lufkin and W. N. Slowe Jr. Judge Campbell is survived by two sons, William Neil Campbell of Kennebunk Point, Me., and Marcus Campbell of Cincinnati, Ohio; a brother Samuel Campbell of New York state; two sisters, Miss Mary Campbell Campbell and Miss Nancy Campbell of San Antonio; two cousins, Arch R. Campbell and Charles W. Gill Jr., of Galveston; four grandchildren and other relatives. Judge Campbell was county judge of Galveston County at one time and later county tax collector. He also served as Galveston County's representative in the state legislature and was also judge of the county court at law here. Born in Galveston on July 14, 1866, Judge Campbell attended the local public schools and Southwestern University. His father, who was a native of Florida, was the late Dr. Marcus Campbell, and his mother, a native of Texas, was Caroline Williams, a daughter of Gen. Samuel May Williams of early Texas fame. Judge Campbell spent three years "reading law" and was given his license to practice in April, 1889. He went to West Texas for a time and on his return here was employed for six years by J. C. League, big mainland property Dealer. He went out to practice on his won in 1896 and in 1900 was elected county judge. He served one term in that office. As presiding officer of the county commissioners court following the 1900 storm Judge Campbell participated in matters of legislation for funding the county's script of over $200,000 then floating as well as letting the contract for the seawall and boulevard, filling behind the wall and the issuance of $1,500,000 in seawall and breakwater bonds. For the next decade he practiced law, specializing in real estate and loan laws, and in 1910 he was elected to the state legislature. He served there for three terms until 1916. Five years later in 1921 on the death of Miles Crowley he was appointed judge of the county court at law, a position he held until the court was abolished by the legislature at the end of 1933. After that Judge Campbell practiced law. His law partner was Charles W. Gill Jr., now assistant county attorney. For the last 20 years of his life he acted as attorney for the Savings and Loan Co. and also for the Suburban Improvement Co. Judge Campbell was a democrat and a member of the Episcopal church. He held membership in the Knights of Pythias, Elks, Eagles, Redmen and Camp Hughes.
  • At the time of her death Mary Caroline Campbell was living in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, at 1609 West Woodlawn.
  • Mary Caroline Campbell died on 19 June 1955 at age 83 in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, at Robert B. Green Hospital never having married. . Informant was Bessie Wood.
  • She was buried at Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston, Texas.
  • Last Edited: 5 Mar 2012