Archibald Rowland Campbell
b. 8 May 1841, d. 1 May 1920
- Father: John Wesley Campbell b. 20 March 1794, d. 23 January 1850
- Mother: Ann Williamson Clark b. 15 December 1801, d. 8 September 1885
- Archibald Rowland Campbell was born on 8 May 1841 in Montgomery County, Alabama.
- Ann Williamson Clark appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in DeSoto Parish, Louisiana, enumerated next to Ann's son Clark and his family.. Other members of the household included Archibald Rowland Campbell, John Wesley Campbell, Marcus L. Campbell, Ann Clark Campbell, Edwin Eliza Campbell, Douglas McQueen Campbell, Frances Rebecca Campbell and Samuel D. Campbell. (Note the Thomas T. Williamson & family living next door, connection not yet found.)
- John Wesley Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Montgomery, Montgomery County, Texas. Other members of the household included Archibald Rowland Campbell, Ann Williamson Clark, Douglas McQueen Campbell and Frances Rebecca Campbell. J. W. Campbell is listed in the 1860 Slave Schedule with 40 slaves (11 of whom were age 10 and younger, and 3 of whom were age 60 and older) and 8 slave houses. Living adjacent is William Barnes "Bose" Campbell, age 26, born in Alabama, son of Elizabeth A. Barnes Campbell, sister of Green Wood's wife Evelina.
- A. R. Campbell enlisted on 29 September 1862 in Hempstead as a 5th sergeant in Company B, Brown's (12th) Battalion Texas Cavalry. He appears on the October 1863 muster roll as a 4th sergeant, January/February 1964 as 3rd sergeant, and sergeant, absent sick at Galveston March 1864. According to regimental returns, he was a sergeant in Company B detailed as clerk, Court of Enquiry, by order of Gen. Hawes, 31 May 1864, and from June to November 1964 he appears as a private in Company B, detailed to the Signal Corps by order of Gen. Magruder.
- He married Alice Lee Matthews, daughter of Thomas Matthews and Sarah Wiggins, on 23 November 1869 in Galveston County, Texas, by license issued on the 13th.
- Archibald and Alice Campbell have not yet been found in the 1870 census.
- The following appeared on 26 June 1874 in the Galveston Daily News: In the matter of the estate of T. J. League, deceased -- in District Court, Galveston County, Texas. All claims for money against said estate not presented to the undersigned for allowance within one year from the 25th day of June, 1874, will be postponed until the claims presented within that time are paid. Creditors will please present their claims to A. R. Campbell at office of Tucker & Campbell, Galveston, Texas. Mary D. League, Administratrix.
- The following appeared on 16 March 1880 in the Galveston Daily News: In the matter of the estate of the League minors. Application for letters of guardianship filed March 4, 1880. Application granted as to Mary D. League, and letters of guardianship to issue upon bond of $200 for each minor, and A. R. Campbell appointed guardian of estate. Letters to issue upon bond of $51,000. Chas. Vidor, W. T. Austin, and H. M. Trueheart appointed appraisers.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Galveston, Texas, at ?471? East Broadway. Other members of the household included Alice Lee Campbell, Flora McQueen Campbell, Bessie Clark Campbell, Maud M. Campbell, Sarah Wiggins Campbell and Samuel Williams Campbell. Nephew Sam Campbell is the brother of Mary and Nannie Campbell found in the nearby 1880 household of Archibald's brother Clark, all children of Archibald's brother Marcus.
- He was a lawyer, according to the 1880 census.
- The following appeared on 9 April 1891 in the Galveston Daily News: Probate Docket. Estate of Ann W. Campbell, Minor; John W. Campbell appointed guardian, bond $10,000; A. R. Campbell, P. S. Wren and W. R. Johnson appointed appraisers. [Note that she is mentioned in Caroline Williams Campbell's probate.]
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Avenue J. Other members of the household included Maud M. Campbell, Sarah Wiggins Campbell, Archibald Rowland Campbell and Bryant Kittrell Goree.
- He was a lawyer, according to the 1900 census.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Avenue J. Other members of the household included Archibald Rowland Campbell.
- He was a lawyer in general practice, according to the 1910 census.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell and Alice Lee Matthews appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Avenue J. Other members of the household included Archibald Rowland Campbell, Katherine Wilson Rountree, Katherine Rountree Campbell and Archibald Rowland Campbell Jr.
- Archibald Rowland Campbell died on 1 May 1920 at age 78 in Galveston, Texas, at 1515 Broadway at his residence. . His death was officially witnessed by John William Campbell.
- His wife Alice Lee Matthews became a widow at his death.
- He was buried at Trinity Episcopal Cemetery in Galveston, Texas.
- The following appeared on 21 November 1983 in The Galveston Daily News: Services for Kate Wilson Rountree Campbell, 93, a homemaker, will be Tuesday at J. Levy & Bro. Funeral Home of Galveston, the Rev. Donovan officiating. Burial will follow at Episcopal Cemetery, Galveston, under direction of J. Levy & Bro. Funeral Home of Galveston.
Mrs. Campbell died Saturday at her home. She was born June 28, 1890 in Sherman and had been a Galveston resident since 1914. She was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Galveston.
Survivors include her husband, Archibald R. Campbell of Galveston; two sons, Archibald R. Campbell Jr. and Chesley R. Campbell, both of Galveston; four daughters, Katherine Oliver of Waco, Mary Lee Davis of DIckinson, Alice Gaughan of Leawood, Kan. and Nancy Martin of Galveston;p two neices, Madison Hortenstine of Houston and Bette Lee Marshal of Memphis, Tenn; a nephew, Chesley Rontree of Corpus Christi; 13 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.
Visitors may call at the funeral home after 5 p.m. today.
- Last Edited: 6 Jul 2013
Family: Alice Lee Matthews b. 31 August 1848, d. 18 January 1928
- Alice Lee Campbell+ b. November 1870, d. between 1900 and 1910
- Flora McQueen Campbell b. 19 June 1873, d. 3 February 1881
- Bessie Clark Campbell b. 22 February 1876, d. 10 February 1881
- Maud M. Campbell b. 15 August 1877, d. 23 December 1901
- Sarah Wiggins Campbell b. 23 February 1880, d. 7 September 1902
- Archibald Rowland Campbell+ b. 3 August 1888, d. 14 December 1985