John Gabriel Harrison
b. 22 February 1829, d. 20 September 1899
- Father: James Gabriel Harrison b. 19 May 1776, d. 9 September 1863
- Mother: Elizabeth York b. circa 1796, d. 26 March 1870
- John Gabriel Harrison was born on 22 February 1829 in Graves County, Kentucky, or Logan County.
- James Gabriel Harrison and Elizabeth York appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1840 in Todd County, Kentucky. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included John Gabriel Harrison, Henry Elyjah Hice Harrison, Augustus Harrison, James Richard Harrison, Mary Harrison, Sarah Ann Elizabeth Harrison and Louisa Jane Ellen Harrison.
- He married Elenor S. Ireland, daughter of Daniel Ireland and Margaret Cochran, circa 30 December 1853 in Robertson County, Tennessee, with F. L. Plaster, GM, officiating. John Gabriel's brothers William and Joseph married Elenor's sisters Elizabeth and Jane, respectively.
- John Gabriel Harrison and Elenor S. Ireland appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Indian Prairie, Wayne County, Illinois, Also in the household was James Croggins, age 7, born in Tennessee.. Other members of the household included Elizabeth M. Harrison, Eliza Jane Harrison and Mary Ellen Harrison.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1870 census.
- John Gabriel and Elenor Harrison had a photographic portrait made in Flora, Clay County, Illinois, after they had relocated to Wayne County, Illinois, from Tennessee.
- John Gabriel Harrison became a widower at the 12 December 1872 death of his wife Elenor S. Ireland.
- He married Lydia J. Campbell circa 1873.
- John Gabriel Harrison and Lydia J. Campbell appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Rose Hill Township, Johnson County, Missouri. Other members of the household included Arthur Harrison and Eustace Llewellyn Harrison. Also in the household was adopted son Thomas? Croughan, age 16. Relationship is not clear, but note that a sister (Martha) of JGH's daughter's husband Alonzo Laughlin was married to Michael Croughan. Requires further research.
- He was farming, according to the 1880 census.
- John Gabriel Harrison died on 20 September 1899 at age 70.
- His wife Lydia J. Campbell became a widow at his death.
- He was buried in Holden, Johnson County, Missouri.
- The following appeared on 22 September 1899 in a Warrensburg newspaper: John G. Harrison, living south of Holden, died Wedensday, September 20, after an illness lasting three or four days. His ailment was heart disease and stomach trouble. He was 70 years old and leaves a wife and several children. Mr. Harrison came to this city from Illinois in 1879. He was a devoted member of the Baptist church.
- Last Edited: 13 May 2012