b. 6 February 1788, d. 15 March 1866
- Jesse Grimes was born on 6 February 1788 in Duplin County, North Carolina.
- He married Martha Smith on 21 January 1813.
- Jesse Grimes became a widower at the 1824 death of his wife Martha Smith.
- He married Rosanna Ward Britton circa 1826.
- Grimes County, Texas, formed in 1846 from Montgomery, was named in his honor.
- Jesse Grimes and Rosanna Ward Britton appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Harvey Grimes, Helen Grimes, Emily Grimes and Nancy Grimes.
- He was a farmer, according to the 1850 census.
- Jesse Grimes died on 15 March 1866 at age 78 in Grimes County, Texas.
- His wife Rosanna Ward Britton became a widow at his death.
- He was buried at Texas State Cemetery in Austin, Travis County, Texas.
- For additional biographical information, see The Texas Handbook Online.
- Last Edited: 7 Apr 2014
Family 1: Martha Smith b. 4 August 1789, d. 1824
- Robert Henry Grimes b. 12 October 1814
- Harriet Elizabeth Grimes+ b. 20 August 1816, d. 14 September 1888
- Albert Calvin Grimes b. 20 December 1817
- Rufus Grimes b. 23 July 1819
- Lucinda Grimes b. 15 October 1820
- Jacob Grimes b. 28 March 1822
- Mary Jane Grimes b. 5 May 1823
- Martha Ann Grimes b. 16 November 1824
- William Ward Grimes b. 16 November 1824