Sam Madeley Wood Jr.
b. 19 May 1933, d. 27 December 2011
- Father: Sam Madeley Wood b. 24 November 1910, d. 4 September 1994
- Mother: Edna Mae Pickett b. 18 September 1910, d. 13 June 1959
- Sam Madeley Wood Jr. was born on 19 May 1933 in Grimes County, Texas.
- Sam Madeley Wood and Edna Mae Pickett appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Wharton, Wharton County, Texas, at 701 Speed Street. Other members of the household included Sam Madeley Wood Jr., Carolyn Wood and James Hardy Wood. In 1935 the family was living in Grimes County.
- He married Peggy Anne Callari, daughter of Vincent Carl Callari and Athalea Lowery, say 1958.
- Sam was photographed with General Solomon Wood's historic highway marker in Georgia during a 1970s family research trip.
- Sam Madeley Wood Jr. died on 27 December 2011 at age 78 in Beaumont, Jefferson County, Texas, at St. Elizabeth's Hospital.
- His wife Peggy Anne Callari became a widow at his death.
- He was buried at Oakland Cemetery in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas.
- The following appeared on 28 December 2011 in The Beaumont Enterprise: Sam Madeley Wood, Jr., 78, of Beaumont, died Tuesday, December 27, 2011, at Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital of Beaumont.
He was born May 19, 1933, in Navasota, to Edna Mae Pickett Wood and Sam Madeley Wood, Sr., and had been resident of Beaumont since 1958. Sam was a retired Professor of Mathematics at Lamar University. He was a Regent’s Professor. He also had served as Director of Mathematics Instruction and department head.
Sam was a member of Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church in Beaumont. He was also a member of the Sons of the American Revolution and the Sons of the Republic of Texas.
Survivors include his wife of fifty-two years, Peggy Wood of Beaumont; son, Sam Madeley Wood III and his wife, Deborah Lewis of Austin; daughter, Susan Wood Yellott of Hallsville; brother, Hardy Wood of Centerville; and two grandchildren, Phillip Allen Yellott and Samantha Kathleen Yellott.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Sam Madeley Wood and Edna Mae Pickett and by his sister Carolyn Wood.
A gathering of his family and friends will begin at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, December 29, 2011, with his funeral service to follow at 11:00 a.m., at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 1350 N. 23rd Street, Beaumont. A graveside service will be at 3:00 p.m., Thursday afternoon at Oakland Cemetery, 801 Sixth Street, Navasota, under the direction of Broussard’s, 1605 North Major Drive, Beaumont.
In lieu flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Lamar Campus Ministry c/o St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 1350 N. 23rd Street, Beaumont, Texas 77706.
- Last Edited: 11 Dec 2015
- Charts: Descendants of ABERCROMBIE Charles & Edwina Malinda "Dicey" Booth, Descendants of LeGRAND John & Margaret Chambers, Descendants of WOOD William & Lydia Ballentine