Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan

b. 2 February 1810, d. 27 September 1875
  • Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan was born on 2 February 1810 in South Carolina.
  • Rebecca Crosland appeared in the US federal census of 7 August 1820 in Marlboro County, South Carolina. Other (counted but unnamed) members of the household apparently included Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan, Edward J. Cosnahan, Joseph Bartholomew Cosnahan, Rebecca Cosnahan and Sarah Cosnahan. Also in the household was one male age 16-26, possibly extended family or hired help, an overseer?
  • She married Christopher James Pegues, son of James Pegues and Jane Johnson, on 29 January 1833.
  • Christopher James Pegues and Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1850 in Old Spring Hill, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included Rebecca Cosnahan Pegues, James Bartholomew Pegues, William Crosland Pegues, Jane Elizabeth Pegues, Mary Ramsey Pegues and Edward Christopher Harder.
  • Christopher James Pegues and Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Linden, Marengo County, Alabama. Other members of the household included William Crosland Pegues, Jane Elizabeth Pegues, Mary Ramsey Pegues and Edward Christopher Harder.
  • Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan became a widow at the 18 August 1860 death of her husband Christopher James Pegues.
  • Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan died on 27 September 1875 at age 65 in Texas.
  • She was buried at Zion Methodist Cemetery in Iola, Grimes County, Texas.
    Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan Pegues (1810-1875), Zion Methodist Cemetery, Iola, Grimes County
  • Her 3x great grandsons Wayne Pegues and Bill Wood posed for a photograph with Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan Pegues' Zion Cemetery grave marker, in June 2000.
    Ann Elizabeth Cosnahan Pegues, Zion cemetery marker,
    with 3x great grandsons Wayne Pegues and Bill Wood, June 2000
  • Published in an 1878 History of Bennettsville: Just below the Old Court House, stands Evan's mill, a spot somewhat remarkable, being distinguished as the place where a cotton gin was first run by water, for the accommodation of the public. Mr. Bartholomew Cosnahan is said to have rented the water power and first applied it to that use. . . .
         The name of Mr. Bartholomew Cosnahan having been introduced it is as well to give some account of his family also. He resided on the hill overlooking the swamp in the back part of the field now [1870s] cultivated by Mr. J. C. Powell. The house is now standing. It was a somewhat pretentious building for those times, being two stories high, with double piazza in front. He was twice married, and when he died, left his widow and two sons and two daughters surviving him. One of his sons, Edward J. Cosnahan, a graduate of the South Carolina College, died afterwards in Bennettsville. He was a young man of brilliant talents, and fully qualified to make his mark in the world, had his ambition led him in that direction. The other son Joseph, married in Virginia and after planting a few years in this county, removed to Texas, where his wife died. He afterwards returned to Virginia and married again, and not very long afterward died, leaving a widow and one child, who since the war have immigrated to Marlborough, to make their home. The two daughters married and settled in Alabama--so that this name also, has in the male line entirely disappeared. Mr. B. Cosnahan owned both sides of the road as you pass down by Mr. Powell's store, and his plantation at that time, was, for it size, one of the most valuable in the State. Sometime after his death his widow had a new house built in the corner of her field just opposite Mr. Powell's store, and removed there with her family, but before many years died leaving her children surviving her.
         Adjoining his plantation on the Marion road lived Mr. Alexander Lamb, who had a large family, and considerable estate--and opposite to him lived Mr. James Forniss. Both these names have also disappeared from this county. . . .
  • Last Edited: 10 Mar 2016

Family: Christopher James Pegues b. 22 May 1807, d. 18 August 1860