Martha Frances P. Wood
b. 18 January 1853, d. 22 May 1912
- Father: Green Mark Wood b. 7 September 1814, d. 5 March 1898
- Mother: Mary Jane LeGrand b. 23 January 1830, d. 19 March 1900
- Martha Frances P. Wood was born on 18 January 1853 in Texas.
- She was known as Fannie.
- Green Mark Wood and Mary Jane LeGrand appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1860 in Danville PO, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Martha Frances P. Wood, Rush Brevard Wood, Solomon William Wood, Robert Cummings Wood, Milton LeGrand Wood and George Scovell Wood.
- Green Mark Wood and Mary Jane LeGrand appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Huntsville, Walker County, Texas. Other members of the household included Martha Frances P. Wood, Rush Brevard Wood, Solomon William Wood, Robert Cummings Wood, Milton LeGrand Wood, George Scovell Wood, Campbell Clark Wood and Green Alexander Wood.
- She married Langston James Goree Jr., son of Langston James Goree and Sarah Williams Kittrell, on 18 December 1872 in Walker County, Texas, with D. K. Moreland officiating.
- Langston James Goree Jr. appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Martha Frances P. Wood, Langston James Goree III, Robert Breckenridge Goree and Green Alexander Wood.
- Martha Frances P. Wood became a widow at the 8 October 1887 death of her husband Langston James Goree Jr.
- The following appeared on 25 July 1896 in The Galveston Daily News: (Huntsville, July 24) Further particulars of the accidental shooting of Edwin C. Goree of Navasota, while hunting on the Trinity river near Midway last Tuesday, show that young Goree with a companion was cleaning game in a boat at Clapp's ferry, half-filled with water. The paddle, which had been stuck in the mud to steady the boat, gave way and the craft began to drift into the current. Young Goree told his companion to step ashore and followed himself, attempting to pull the gun from the boat with the muzzle toward him. In doing so the hammer caught against the boat's side and the load of squirrel shot was discharged into his body. His companion immediately went in search of medical assistance, but when it came was too late to check the flow of blood. The wounded boy was taken to Midway, but despite every effort the circulation of the blood could not be renewed sufficiently to save his life.
Neither of the boys were over 15 years of age. The deceased was a son of the late Dr. Langston J. Goree and a nephew of Major Thomas J. Goree.
Mrs. Groee and her children were on a visit to relatives near Midway. The remains were taken to Lovelady and from there shipped to Navasota.
- The following appeared on 24 October 1898 in The Daily Examiner: Mrs. Fannie Goree is [confined] to her room with the dengue.
- Martha Frances P. Wood appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Sue Willie Goree, Mary LeGrand Goree, Fannie Brevard Goree and Langston Goree Wood.
- A photographic portrait was made in Navasota (by Wade) of Fannie Wood Goree and her children and grandchildren, about 1905.
- Martha Frances P. Wood appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas, enumerated next to her nephew Solomon William Wood.. Other members of the household included Fannie Brevard Goree.
- Martha Frances P. Wood died on 22 May 1912 at age 59 in Grimes County, Texas.
- She was interred at Oakland Cemetery, Navasota, Grimes County, Texas.
- Last Edited: 16 Oct 2012
- Charts: Descendants of ABERCROMBIE Charles & Edwina Malinda "Dicey" Booth, Descendants of LeGRAND John & Margaret Chambers, Descendants of WOOD William & Lydia Ballentine
Family: Langston James Goree Jr. b. 25 January 1841, d. 8 October 1887
- Langston James Goree III+ b. 9 December 1873, d. 6 November 1962
- Robert Breckenridge Goree b. 22 November 1875, d. 1944
- Campbell Edwin Goree b. 1 December 1880, d. July 1896
- Mary Eloise Goree b. 18 August 1882, d. 10 March 1885
- Sue Willie Goree+ b. 9 December 1884, d. circa 15 December 1964
- Mary LeGrand Goree b. 27 January 1886, d. 13 October 1909
- Fannie Brevard Goree+ b. 8 July 1887, d. 18 December 1979