Floyd Boyd Garner
b. 3 October 1908, d. 30 October 1931
- Father: William Henry Garner b. 22 March 1887, d. 9 January 1936
- Mother: Carrie Teague b. 1 January 1888, d. 18 May 1936
- Floyd Boyd Garner was born on 3 October 1908 in Texas.
- William Henry Garner and Carrie Teague appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Grimes County, Texas, living next to Carrie's sister Agnes Wood.. Other members of the household included Floyd Boyd Garner.
- Carrie, Will and son Floyd Garner had a photographic portrait made about 1912.
- Students and teachers were photographed in front of Richards School in 1919. A bond for enlarging the school building was voted on 1 June 1918, and the photo likely celebrated its completion.
- William Henry Garner and Carrie Teague appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Richards, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Floyd Boyd Garner, William Henry Garner Jr.
- Carrie Teague appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Richards, Grimes County, Texas. Other members of the household included Floyd Boyd Garner, William Henry Garner Jr. Boarding in the household was public school teacher William Wilcox.
- He was a stationary oiler, according to the 1930 census.
- The following appeared on 29 October 1931 in the Navasota Daily Examiner: Floyd Garner, a young man from Richards about 23 years of age, is in very serious condition at the Brazos Valley sanitarium today, his entire body being horribly burned as a result of an explosion at the Magnolia Petroleum Company at Richards, early this morning. The accident occurred about 4:30 o'clock and Dunivant's ambulance from this city was called to the scene to bring the injured man to the hospital.
Mr. Garner was making inspection of the drainage pit when the explosion occurred. As he was draining the pit he put an electric light which was connected with an extension crod, down in the manhole in the center of the concrete top of the pit to see how much longer the pit had to be drained. When he put the light into the pit an explosion resulted. The top of the drainage pit was lifted by the sudden force and Floyd Garner was horribly burned from the blast. Every piece of clothing was burned from his body.
A special nurse was put on duty with Mr. Garner and everything is being done to save his life as he is in a very critical condition. He is a single man and quite popular in this county. He has been employed with the Magnolia Company since July 1929. Many friends from over the county drove to Navasota today to see the young man.
Floyd Garner was manager of the Richards baseball team this year and came here with the team for several games this past season.
- Floyd Boyd Garner died on 30 October 1931 at age 23 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas, at the Brazos Valley Sanitarium.
- He was interred at Fairview Cemetery, Grimes County, Texas, near Richards.
- The following appeared on 31 October 1931 in the Navasota Daily Examiner: Floyd Garner, who was fatally burned in an explosion Thursday morning at Richards, passed away at the Brazos Valley Sanitarium Friday evening at 6:15 o’clock. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at Richards at 3 o’clock at the Methodist church with Rev. George Avery in charge. Burial will take place in Fairview cemetery.
Floyd Garner was only 23 years of age when he met such tragic death, a boy that had friends everywhere and of such character that few men can boast. He was a fine young man and did not let the evils of the world enter his life.
Floyd Garner was born in Richards, the son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Garner and is survived by his parents, one brother, Will and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Teague of Richards as well as many other relatives. He was a faithful member of the Methodist church and was employed with the Magnolia Pipe Line Department at Richards.
He was popular among young and old and especially with the young men of Richards with whom he played baseball, having been manager of the Richards baseball team this year. It seems strange that such a clean, upright character should be taken from this earth, yet what the Lord wills must be done.
- Last Edited: 30 May 2015
- Charts: Descendants of TEAGUE Joshua