b. 27 April 1868, d. 11 June 1962
- Father: Konrad Stähle b. 5 January 1830, d. 21 February 1885
- Mother: Ursula Walter b. 13 November 1830, d. 9 April 1913
- Barbara Stahle was born on 27 April 1868 in Niagara County, New York.
- Konrad Stähle and Ursula Walter, appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1870 in Suspension Bridge, Niagara County, New York. Other members of the household included Barbara Stahle, Margaret Stahle, Catharine Stahle, Johanna Stahle, Fred Stahle, Conrad Stahle and Simon Andreas Stahle.
- Konrad Stähle and Ursula Walter appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Niagara, Niagara Falls, New York. Other members of the household included Barbara Stahle, Conrad Stahle, Simon Andreas Stahle, Anna Stahle and Karl William Balthasar Stahle.
- She married John C. Cleghorn, son of Robert Hill Cleghorn and Margaret Gow, on 27 April 1887 in Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Lewiston, New York. Other members of the household included Gertrude Millicent Cleghorn, Wallace J. Cleghorn, Ruth Cleghorn, Harold John Cleghorn, Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn and Oliver M. Cleghorn.
- The following appeared on 9 October 1908 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: A very pleasant gathering was that at the home of Mrs. Margaret Weber of Willow avenue, on Wednesday, when occurred the reunion of the family of Mrs. Ursula Stahle. The only drawback of the full enjoyment of the occasion was the absence of two of Mrs. Stahle's sons, the eldest, Mr. Conrad Stahle of Cleveland avenue, being seriously ill. The house was beautifully decorated with ferns and flowers, the color scheme throughout the entire house being red and green. The time passed most pleasantly in meeting and greeting relatives and friends, old and new, many of whom met for the first time. A most bountiful dinner was served, after which Mrs. Daniel Behe sang several beautiful solos, and Miss Ursula Stahle rendered some instrumental music. Among the out-of-town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. James Hollenbeck and daughter Hazel, of Lockport; Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Behe, of Gasport; Mrs. Herman Gaertner and Miss Edna Williams, of Petersburg, Mich; Mrs. John Cleghorn and son Robert, of Cuba; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Fitzgerald and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Weber and daughter, of Buffalo.
Many of those attending the reunion appear in the accompanying photograph.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in New Hudson, Allegany County, New York. Other members of the household included Wallace J. Cleghorn, Ruth Cleghorn, Harold John Cleghorn, Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn, Oliver M. Cleghorn, Walter Lloyd Cleghorn and Robert B. Cleghorn.
- The following appeared on 10 April 1913 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. Ursula Stahle, 83 years old, a charter member of Zion Lutheran Church and a member of the German Frauen, died last evening at the home of her niece, Miss Lillian Weber, No. 729 Willow avenue. Mrs. Stahle was born in Germany and came here when only 20 years old. She is survived by a son, Conrad, who lives in Cleveland avenue and three daughters, Mrs. J. S. Hollenbeck of Lockport, Mrs. Gaetner of Petersburg, Michigan and Mrs. John Kreghorn of Black Creek, N. Y. Funeral arrangements later.
Note: Miss Leila Weber of 729 Willow Avenue was a granddaughter of Ursula Walter Stahle. Other misspellings spellings should be corrected to "Gaertner" and "Cleghorn."
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1915 in New Hudson, New York. Other members of the household included Wallace J. Cleghorn, Harold John Cleghorn, Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn, Oliver M. Cleghorn, Walter Lloyd Cleghorn, Robert B. Cleghorn and Ida A. Cleghorn.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in New Hudson, New York. Other members of the household included Harold John Cleghorn, Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn, Oliver M. Cleghorn, Walter Lloyd Cleghorn, Robert B. Cleghorn and Ida A. Cleghorn. Also in the household was one boarder.
- The following appeared on 27 October 1920 in the Lockport Union-Sun & Journal: The home of Mr. and Mrs. James S. Hollenbeck of Strawberry Avenue was the scene of a pleasant gathering on Saturday evening, October 23, when a number of friends helped them to celebrate the forty-second anniversary of their marriage. A bountiful supper was served n the dining room, which was elaborately trimmed with decoratins in keeping with Hallowe'en. Three of the original wedding guests were present, Mrs. J. Gaertner and Mrs. H. Hunt, sisters of the bride, and William Romig, who acted as best man. The other guests were Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Behe, Mr. and Mrs. Christ Ramming, H. J. Hunt, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hollenbeck and family and Mr. and Mrs. Daniel G. Behe and daughter Evelyn. Mrs. Fred Hollenbeck wrote a very appropriate poem for the occasiion. . . .
Mrs. J. S. Hollenbeck, Mrs. J. Gaertner and Mrs. H. J. Hunt left Tuesday morning for Cuba, N. Y., where they will visit their sister, Mrs. John Cleghorn, for a few days. . . .
Mrs. C. Stahle, William and Uras Stahle, of Niagara Falls, spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. James S. Hollenbeck. . . .
Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Hollenbeck and daughter Hazel, Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Hunt, and Mrs. J. Gaertner spent Sunday evening with Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hollenbeck.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1925 in Jackson Hill, Allegany County, New York. Other members of the household included Oliver M. Cleghorn, Walter Lloyd Cleghorn, Robert B. Cleghorn and Ida A. Cleghorn.
- The following appeared on 22 March 1928 in The Patriot & Free Press: Genevieve Marie Armstrong, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Foster J. Armstrong, died at her home near Ceres on March 15, after an illness of several weeks. She was born Oct. 10, 1912, near Hartley, Ia., and came to New York at the age of 16 months. She was well known in this vicinity, having spent much of the last six years at the home of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. John Cleghorn of Jackson Hill. She was a brilliant student, and her standings in both Cuba high school, which she attended two years ago, and at Shinglhouse, Pa., which high school she was attending when taken ill, were far above the average. Her kind and gentle nature and patience during her many severe sicknesses won her the love of many friends, who will greatly miss her. [=:CR:] Besides her parents and grandparents she is survived by six brothers and four sisters: John F., Warren B., Lawrence A., Robert L. Albert J., Jay E., Dorothy M., Abbie, Barbara C., and Lois E. The funeral was held Saturday with interment in Cuba cemetery. Those who attended from a distance were Mrs. John Cleghorn, daughter Ida and sons, Robert and Oliver, of Cuba; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Cleghorn of Marshall; Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Cleghorn of Black Creek, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Cleghorn of Franklinville.
- John C. Cleghorn and Barbara Stahle appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Cuba, Allegany County, New York. Other members of the household included Oliver M. Cleghorn, Ida A. Cleghorn and Lawrence Allan Armstrong.
- The following appeared on 24 April 1938 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: [Died] In this city, April 21, 1938, Anna S. Hunt, wife of Harry J. Hunt; sister of Mrs. John Cleghorn of Cuba, N. Y. Funeral from the family residence, 103 Purdy Street, Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Friends invited. Deceased was a member of Tyrian Chapter No. 610 O. E. S. Interment in Oakwood Cemetery, Niagara Falls, N. Y.
- Barbara Stahle became a widow at death of her husband John C. Cleghorn.
- Barbara Stahle became a widow at the 2 May 1941 death of her husband John C. Cleghorn.
- The following appeared on 8 May 1941 in The Patriot & Free Press: After an illness of a number of months John C. Cleghorn, a farmer who had resided in the vicinity of Black Creek for many years, died at his home on Jackson Hill last Friday. The funeral was held there Sunday, conducted by the Rev. Clarence B. Gilbert of Cuba Baptist Church with burial in Cuba Cemetery.
Mr. Cleghorn was born at Lewiston, Sept. 29, 1854, the son of Robert and Margaret Gow Cleghorn, who were natives of Scotland. On April 27, 1887, he was married at Lewiston to Barbara Stahle of Suspension Bridge. They lived at Lewiston and Lockport before removing to this county 35 years ago.
Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cleghorn: Gertrude, Mrs. Frank Smith, Shinglehouse, Pa; Wallace, Black Creek; Ruth, wife of Dr. E. M. Fainer of Los Angeles, Cal; Harold J., Yorkshire; Laurence E., Rochester; Oliver M., at home; Walter L. (deceased); Robert B., Olean; Ida, Mrs. Hugh Barber, Black Creek. Mr. Cleghorn also leaves 22 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Five brothers and sisters survive, the eldest being Mrs. Ida Hewitt of Niagara Falls, 92, who attended the funeral; two of Mr. Cleghorn's family live in Iowa and two in California.
On April 27 Mr. and Mrs. Cleghorn observed their 54th wedding anniversary, when all their living children and families, except the daughter residing in California, were present.
- Barbara Stahle died on 11 June 1962 at age 94 in Cuba, Allegany County, New York, at Cuba Memorial Hospital.
- She was interred at Cuba Cemetery, Cuba, Allegany County, New York.
- The following appeared on 13 June 1962 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Mrs. Barbara Cleghorn, 94, an early resident of the Village of Suspension Bridge, and mother of a local woman, died Monday (June 11, 1962) at Cuba Memorial Hospital, Cuba, N.Y. Suspension Bridge became part of Niagara Falls in 1892.
The widow of John C. Cleghorn, she was the daughter of the late Conrad and Ursula Walters Stahle. Mrs. Cleghorn was born in the village, known then as Suspension Bridge, April 27, 1868.
She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Ruth Fainer, this city; Mrs. Gertrude Smith, Portville; and Mrs. Ida Barber, Black Creek; four sons, Harold Cleghorn, Delavan; Oliver Cleghorn, Cuba, N.Y; and Lawrence and Robert Cleghorn, both of Clarksburg, W. Va.
Funeral services will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. at the family home in Cuba. Interment will be in Cuba Cemetery.
- Last Edited: 13 Feb 2014
Family: John C. Cleghorn b. 29 September 1854, d. 2 May 1941
- Gertrude Millicent Cleghorn+ b. 25 January 1888, d. 5 February 1972
- Wallace J. Cleghorn b. 21 July 1890, d. 15 May 1955
- Ruth Cleghorn+ b. 9 December 1891, d. 5 July 1977
- Harold John Cleghorn+ b. 17 June 1893, d. 12 January 1974
- Lawrence Edwin Cleghorn b. 22 February 1895, d. 14 February 1964
- Oliver M. Cleghorn b. 18 December 1896, d. 18 March 1965
- Walter Lloyd Cleghorn b. 26 October 1903, d. 7 November 1925
- Robert B. Cleghorn b. 21 September 1905, d. 1 November 1996
- Ida A. Cleghorn b. 31 December 1914, d. 30 January 2002