Julius Cleveland Schwert
b. 11 October 1892, d. 8 March 1944
- Father: Louis H. Schwert b. March 1866, d. 1907
- Mother: Augusta Doering b. February 1868, d. 4 May 1949
- Julius Cleveland Schwert was born on 11 October 1892 in Farnham, Erie County, New York.
- He was known as Cleveland.
- Louis H. Schwert and Augusta Doering appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Brant, Erie County, New York. Other members of the household included Julius Cleveland Schwert, Minnie C. Schwert and Louisa Schwert.
- Augusta Doering appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Farnham, Erie County, New York, at Commercial Street. Other members of the household included Julius Cleveland Schwert, Minnie C. Schwert, Louisa Schwert, Hattie H. Schwert and Harmon Louis Schwert.
- The following appeared on 16 August 1911 in The Fredonia Censor: The Misses Clara and Laura Kruse of Chestnut street, spent a pleasant week visiting their cousin, Miss Minnie Schwert, of Farnham, N. Y. They returned home last week Monday accoompanied by Mr. Cleveland Schwert of Farnham and Mr. Pius Schwert of Angola in the latter's automobile. Both young men were guests of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Kruse for a few days. All enjoyed several auto trips to various points of interest.
- He married Isabel L. Eyeington, daughter of John Eyeington and Isabella Adams, circa 1914.
- Julius Cleveland Schwert registered for the draft on 5 June 1917 in Erie County, New York, while living with his wife in Farnham, and operating a mercantile business there.
- Julius Cleveland Schwert and Isabel L. Eyeington appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Angola, Erie County, New York, at Mill Street. Other members of the household included Isabella Adams.
- Julius Cleveland Schwert and Isabel L. Eyeington appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Angola, Erie County, New York, at 73 Mill Street. Other members of the household included Dean E. Schwert and Isabella Adams.
- He was a retail grocer, according to the 1930 census.
- Julius Cleveland Schwert died on 8 March 1944 at age 51 in Angola, Erie County, New York, at his residence.
- Isabel L. Eyeington became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Forest Avenue Cemetery, Angola, Erie County, New York.
- The following appeared on 10 March 1944 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: J. Cleveland Schwert, 50, a deputy collector of internal revenue at the Buffalo office, died suddenly Wednesday at his Angola home. He was a cousin of the late Rep. Pius L. Schwert.
Mr. Schwert, son of the late Supervisor Louis H. Schwert, and Mrs. Augusta Schwert, was born in Farnham and until a few years ago had conducted the general store in Farnham owned by his father. Both Louis Schwert and his brother, Julius, father of Rep. Schwert, were elected to the Board of Supervisors the same year and both died while holding office.
J. Cleveland Schwert was appointed a deputy collector of Internal Revenue in March, 1941. He was one of the organizers of the National Bank of Angola and the Evans Land Co. He also was active in Democratic circles.
He is survived by his wife, Isabelle Eyeington Schwert; his mother; a son, Dean E. Schwert; a brother, Harmon, of Buffalo, and three sisters, Minnie Schwert and Mrs. Louise Allen of Buffalo, and Hattie Schwert of Boston, Mass.
Funeral services will be at the home, 73 Mill St., Angola, tomorrow at 2:30 p. m.
- The following appeared on 25 June 1970 in the Evans Journal: Mrs. Isabel E. Schwert (nee Eyeington) of 73 Mill St., Angola, died suddenly in Lake Shore Inter-Community Hospital on Friday, June 19, 1970. She was 76. Widow of the late J. Cleveland Schwert, she was the mother of the late Dean E. Schwert and sister of the late Mrs. Bessie E. Bundy, Mrs. Gertrude Stokes and Oliver Eyeington. The Rev. Raymond L. Morris Jr. officiated at funeral services Monday morning at Froehley's Funeral Home. Burial was in Forest Avenue Cemetery, Angola. Mrs. Schwert was a member of the Stitcheri Society of the First Congregational United Church of Christ.
- Last Edited: 8 Jan 2014