Elton Hobart Ferguson
b. 20 October 1923, d. 11 July 2012
- Father: William Andrew Ferguson b. 12 February 1885, d. 8 April 1977
- Mother: Hilda Elizabeth Mattson b. 23 April 1892, d. 10 September 1977
- Elton Hobart Ferguson was born on 20 October 1923 in Lead, Lawrence County, South Dakota.
- William Andrew Ferguson and Hilda Elizabeth Mattson appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Lead, Lawrence County, South Dakota, at 303 Park Avenue. Other members of the household included Elton Hobart Ferguson, William Andrew Ferguson Jr.
- The following appeared on 18 April 1958 in the Lead Daily Call: Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Ferguson returned Thursday evening from a two-week trip to Colorado. They were guests at the home of their son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Elton Ferguson, and family in Englewood and also visited mrs. Ferguson's brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Davies in Brighton.
- Elton Hobart Ferguson died on 11 July 2012 at age 88 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico.
- The following appeared on 18 July 2012 in The Rapid City Journal: (Albuquerque, N.M.) Former South Dakota resident Elton Hobart Ferguson, 87, passed away peacefully in his sleep early Wednesday morning, July 11, 2012. Fergie, as he was known to family and friends, will be missed dearly by his wife, Marian Land Ferguson, daughters, Debby Brinkerhoff and Lynnda Ferguson, and extended family and friends whose lives he enriched.
Fergie will be honored at a memorial service Saturday, July 21, at Las Placitas Presbyterian Church in Placitas, New Mexico, where he was a member.
Fergie was born October 20, 1923, in Lead, South Dakota, to Hilda and William Ferguson, brother to William Jr. and Florence Baird, all of whom have previously passed. Elton graduated from Lead High School in 1942, served in the U.S. Navy, then returned to South Dakota to attend Black Hills Teacher College in Spearfish in 1945 where he met the love of his life, Marian Land. They married in June 1947.
Elton graduated in the spring of 1950 from South Dakota State University in Brookings. His first daughter, Debby, was born in May 1951 in Redfield, South Dakota. The new family moved to Greeley, Colorado, in spring 1952 and then to Englewood and later Littleton, Colorado. The family grew with the birth of his second daughter, Lynnda, in February 1956, and Elton worked at MD Pharmacy building relationships and serving the medical needs of the Englewood/Littleton community. The Fergusons spent 40 years in the greater Denver area before moving in 1994 to Las Cruces, New Mexico, and then in 2007 to Bernalillo, New Mexico to be closer to family.
After suffering a series of strokes in January 2011 he spent the last year and a half in the care of St. Theresa's Rehabilitation Hospital in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where his extended family were able to visit frequently. Elton's sly wit, thoughtful questions and deep, honest interest in the people and world around him have shaped many of the lives he touched in countless ways. He will be greatly missed by those who knew him.
- Last Edited: 15 Jul 2016