Francis Joseph Dolan
b. 17 March 1897, d. 30 September 1971
- Francis Joseph Dolan was born on 17 March 1897 in New York.
- He married Winifred Caroline Rieger, daughter of Herman Martin Rieger and Caroline Weber, on 21 June 1922 in Niagara County, New York.
- Charles F. Braas and Anna C. Rieger appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1324 South Avenue. Other members of the household included Francis Joseph Dolan, Winifred Caroline Rieger, Francis C. Dolan and Anne Marie Dolan.
- He was proprietor of a clothing store, according to the 1930 census.
- Francis Joseph Dolan and Winifred Caroline Rieger appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 2933 Macklem Avenue. Other members of the household included Francis C. Dolan and Anne Marie Dolan.
- He was employed by a putlic utility, according to the 1940 census.
- The following appeared in April 1960 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: (Niagara Personality, by Dick Utts) A Falls man, who remembers much of this city when it was apple orchards and fields, has served as the agent in seeing much of this land turned into industrial and commercial property.
He is Francis J. Dolan, property agent for the Niagara Falls District of the Niagara Mohawk Power Corp. He also is a private real estate broker licensed by the State of New York.
From his office in the Niagara Mohawk building, at Third St. and Walnut Ave., Mr. Dolan can view the busy street and some of the property which he helped to develop in both of his business roles. He has a third interest, one in which he says he is not overly active, that of vice president and director of the Maid of the Mist Steamship Co.
. . .
He and his wife, the former Miss Winifred Braas, successfully raised four children. Their home, at 2933 Macklem Ave., and their summer cottage near Wilson have been places where the childrten, and now the grandchildren, enjoy gathering with their friends.
Son Frank C. Dolan will be ordained a Catholic priest in the Jesuit Order at Fordham University on June 18, He will celebrate his first High Mass at St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church, in this city, on June 26.
Son Robert is Dr. Robert J. Dolan of Lewiston. Ann Dolan Moody is the wife of Dr. William R. Moody, a Lewiston dentist. Carol is the wife of Charles R. Turner Jr., of Amherst.
Mr. Dolan came to Niagara Falls at the age of eight. He was educated at St. Mary's Parochial School, Niagara Falls High School and Niagara University. His business courses at Niagara were interrupted in 1917 when he enlisted and went overseas with the Army. He returned here to becoma a partner in the Lynch-Dolan Clothing Store in Falls St., and later in Main St. He joined the power company in 1933.
. . .
- The following appeared on 3 October 1965 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: . . . [a year ago] Mr. and Mrs. Dolan went to the Philippines to visit their son, the Rev. Frank C. Dolan, who is a Jusuit missionary there. Father Dolan had been on assignment there since July 1962, and it was the first time his parents had seen him since then.
Mr. and Mrs. Dolan are off on another trip. They left for the West Coast Saturday.
- Francis Joseph Dolan died on 30 September 1971 at age 74 in Lewiston, Niagara County, New York, at Mount St. Mary's Hospital.
- Winifred Caroline Rieger became a widow at his death.
- He was interred at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on 1 October 1971 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: [Died] In Mt. St. Mary's Hospital, Sept. 30, 1971, Francis J. Dolan of 2933 Macklem Avenue. Husband of Winifred Braas Dolan, father of Mrs. William R. (Anne) Moody, Lewiston; Mrs. Charles R. (Carol) Turner Jr., Snyder; Rev. Frank C. Dolan S.J., Davao, Philippine Islands; Dr. Robert J. Dolan of Rochester, N.Y. Brother of James M. Dolan; Thomas L. Dolan; Mrs. Joseph (Mary) Sheeley, all of this city. Also survived by 16 grandchildren. Brother of the late Mrs. John V. (Margaret) Hogan and John W. Dolan. Funeral services will be held from the Rhoney Funeral Home, Inc., 1124 Ontario Avenue, Monday at 9:30 a.m. and in St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church at 10 a.m. Interment in Gate of Heaven Cemetery. The family will be present 2-5 and 7-9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Members of the Holy Name Society at St. Teresa's Church will met to recite the Rosary Sunday evening at 8 p.m.
- Last Edited: 25 Jan 2015