Hugo Marcus Hartwig
b. 13 April 1898, d. November 1981
- Father: William A. Hartwig b. July 1847, d. between 1910 and 1920
- Mother: Henriette Wilhelmine Caroline Ziehl b. 2 January 1857
- Hugo Marcus Hartwig was born on 13 April 1898 in New York.
- William A. Hartwig and Henriette Wilhelmine Caroline Ziehl appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1900 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1149 Ontario Avenue. Other members of the household included Hugo Marcus Hartwig, Charles Frederick Hartwig, John C. Hartwig, Ella N. Hartwig, Gertrude R. Hartwig, Anna Hartwig, Felix Walter Hartwig and Wilhelmina Gatz.
- William A. Hartwig and Henriette Wilhelmine Caroline Ziehl appeared in the US federal census of 15 April 1910 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 823 Ashland Avenue. Other members of the household included Hugo Marcus Hartwig, Charles Frederick Hartwig, Ella N. Hartwig, Anna Hartwig and Felix Walter Hartwig.
- Hugo Marcus Hartwig registered for the draft on 12 September 1918 in Niagara County, New York, while living with his mother Minnie at 825 Ashland in Niagara Falls, and employed there as a machinist by Hinds Paper Box Company.
- Henriette Wilhelmine Caroline Ziehl appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 825 Ashland Avenue. Other members of the household included Hugo Marcus Hartwig.
- He was a machinist at the carbide company, according to the 1920 census.
- The following appeared on 10 June 1920 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: Marriage Licenses. Hugo Hartwig, No. 825 Ashland avenue; Esta Kleber, No. 461 Ninth st.
- He married Esta Kleber circa June 1920.
- He was a sponsor at the baptism/christening of Jeanette Carolyn Hartwig on 1 June 1924 at Zion Lutheran Church in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York; and Miss M. K. Hittenmeyer.
- Hugo (left) was photographed playing cards.
- The following appeared on 17 February 1958 in the Niagara Falls Gazette:
Felix W. Hartwig, 62, of 1711 Forbes St., North Tonawanda, a former Niagara Falls resident for 50 years and former chief engineer with the Chisholm Ryder Corp. here, died Saturday (Feb. 15, 1958) of a heart ailment at DeGraff Memorial Hospital, North Tonawanda.
Mr. Hartwig was employed in the engineering department of the Ross Heater Exchange Division of the American Standard Co. in Buffalo. He was born in North Tonawanda and was employed by the Chisholm Ryder Corp. in this city for 38 years. Mr. Hartwig moved to North Tonawanda five years ago.
Mr. Hartwig is a former choir director for the Zion Lutheran Church here and was a member of the Niagara Falls Kiwanis Club and past master of the Niagara River Lodge No. 785, F & AM.
Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Marie P. Hartwig; two daughters, Mrs. John M. Koch, this city, and Mrs. Jeanette Haseley, Thurmont, Md; a son, Dr. William H. Hartwig, Austin, Tex; three brothers, C. Fred, John C. and Hugo M. Hartwig, all of this city; two sisters, Mrs. Ella Maggs, this city, and Mrs. Gertrude Holland, Kenmore, and six grandchildren.
Members of the Niagara River Lodge will conduct memorial services at the Gridley Funeral Home at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Funeral services will be held at the funeral home at 2 p.m. Wednesday with the Rev. Herman B. Miller, pastor of the Grace Lutheran Church, North Tonawanda, officiating. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery, this city.
The family said that donations to the Heart Fund will be acceptable as tributes.
- The SSDI lists Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, as the last residence of record of Hugo Marcus Hartwig.
- Hugo Marcus Hartwig died in November 1981 at age 83.
- Esta Kleber became a widow at his death.
- Last Edited: 29 Nov 2011