Charles Otto Ernest Ford
b. 3 September 1866, d. 9 December 1952
- Charles Otto Ernest Ford was born on 3 September 1866 in Porter, Niagara County, New York.
- His name was recorded as Carl Otto Ernst at his baptism.
- Johannes Kämmerer and Anna Elisabetha Dexheimer appeared in the New York state census of 1 June 1875 in Niagara County, New Yoirk. Other members of the household included Charles Otto Ernest Ford, Adam Kammerer, Jacob Andrea Kammerer, Philippina Kammerer, Katrina Franziska Kammerer and Anna Marie Kammerer. While John, Elizabeth, Adam and Jacob "Kimmerer" are recorded at the bottom of page 51, daughters Phebe, Katie, Mary and Helen "Kimmerer" are enumerated 10 pages away at the top of page 62, appearing to be daughters of Daniel and Elizabeth Ott.
- Johann Christian Friedrich Pfort and Johanna Louise Primus appeared in the US federal census of 1 June 1880 in Porter, New York. Other members of the household included Charles Otto Ernest Ford, August Christian Pfort, Anna Ford, George H. Ford and Charlotte Brunscheon.
- The following appeared on 19 November 1890 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Miss Mary Kammerer and Charles Ford are to be married this evening, at the residence of the bride's brother, Adam Kammerer, on Ontario avenue, Suspension Bridge.
- He married Anna Marie Kammerer, daughter of Johannes Kämmerer and Anna Elisabetha Dexheimer, on 19 November 1890 in Suspension Bridge, Niagara County, New York, at Ontario Avenue, at the home of Mary's brother Adam Kammerer.
- The following appeared on 26 November 1909 in The Niagara Falls Gazette: The funeral of John Seitz was held from his late residence yesterday afternoon. A large number of friends of the deceased attended. These included members of Camp Lowry, Woodmen of the World, and Canton Cataract, I. O. O. F., who attended in a body. The cortage moved from the house, No. 918 Niagara avenue at 2 o'clock to the Zion Lutheran Church, where the services were held.
These services were conducted by the Reverend Herman Brezing, pastor of the church. The ediface was filled with friends of the deceased who, by their presence gave silent tribute of the esteem in which Mr. Seitz was held. The interment was made in Oakwood cemetery.
The pall bearers were Henry Schwenk, Charles Ford, Martin Mayle, William Turner, William Kirkpatrick of this city and C. G. Cuddaback of Youngstown.
Among the out of town people who attended the funeral were Mrs. Leo Stevens of New York, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Evans, Florence and Arthur Evans, Captain and Mrs. Greaser, Charles Hornig of Buffalo.
- The following appeared on 30 June 1916 in The Buffalo Morning Express: The marriage of Miss Gertrude Barnett, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Barnett, and Joseph F. Lepine was solemnized at 7 o'clock last evening in the Presbyterian church of the Covenant, the Rev. John D. Campbell officiating. The church was decorated with palms, evergreens, pink peonies and marguerites. Ropes of Smilax were caught from the chandeliers. The pews for the house guests were marked with pink peonies and marguerites. Carl Kammerer of Niagara Falls, cousin of the bride, played a programme of organ music as the guests were assembling, ending in the Lohengrin bridal chorus as the bridal party entered, led by the ushers, Myron B. Bloy of Detroit, Mich., and William Lewis. The ushers were followed by the maid of honor, Miss Myrtle Hutchinson, and the two bridesmaids, Miss Helen Kammerer of Niagara Falls and Miss Ruth Barnett, sister of the bride. The bride entered with her father and was met at the altar by the bridegroom and his best man, George J. Barnett. She wore a gown of pussywillow taffeta with lace and pearl trimmings. Her veil was fastened with orange blossoms and she carried a shower bouquet of bride roses and lilies of the valley. The maid of honor, wore green-flowered voile trimmed with green satin bands and carried an arm bouquet of Ophelia roses. Miss Kammerer wore pink-flowered voile trimmed with pink satin bands and carried an arm bouquet of pink Killarney roses. A reception to 100 guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Barnett in Waverly street followed the ceremony. Palms, pink and white peonies and roses adorned the rooms. The bride's table was laid for fourteen and was centered with pink roses. The other guests were seated at small tables which were centered with pink candelabra. The guests included Mr. and Mrs. John Guenther of Welland, Ont., Mr. and Mrs. Frank L. Barnett, Miss Nettie Platt of Alden, J. A. Kammerer of Toronto, Ont., Mrs. and Mrs. M. H. Mayle, Miss Helen Mayle, Mr. and Mrs. Louis K. Eimer, Paul Eimer, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Ford, Mrs. Adam Kammerer, Miss Marie Kammerer, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ford, Miss Louise Ford, Charles Ford, Jr., Miss Norma Hoffman, Miss Alice Young, Mr. and Mrs. George Benning, Miss Elsa Vorwerck of Niagara Falls, Mr. and Mrs. George F. Loehr of Lancaster, Miss Gladys Williams of Toronto., Ont., Mr. and Mrs. M. Bloy of Detroit, Mich., Miss Winifred Hewetson and Miss Vera Hewetson of Brampton, Ont., Miss Alma Hart of Scranton, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Lepine will spend their honeymoon in the Catskill mountains and will be at home after August 1st in Buffalo.
- Charles Otto Ernest Ford and Anna Marie Kammerer appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at 1143 Willow Avenue. Other members of the household included Louise Elizabeth Ford and Charles Adam Benjamin Ford.
- He was employed as a milkman by Niagara Dairy, according to the 1920 census.
- The following appeared on 2 December 1922 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: George H. Ford, a native of Niagara county who was born in the town of Porter on May 25th, 1865, died Friday morning, December 1st, 1922, in Mount St. Mary's hospital after an illness of three weeks. Mr. Ford came to Niagara Falls in 1880 and resided in this city until April 1913, when his health was poorly and he moved to his farm on the Daniels road, Wilson, N. Y. For 21 years he was employed at the International Paper Co. as a stationary engineer and was one of the best known paper makers in this city. He was a 25-year jewel member of Bellevue Lodge, No 316, I.O.O.F., and a member of the Knights of the Maccabees, No. 130, for thirth-two years, also a member of the Riverdale Rebekah Lodge, No. 195. Surviving Mr. Ford are his wife, Eleanor Ford, and seven children, three sons, Albert Ford of Niagara Falls, Clarence of Ransomville and Howard of Wilson, N. Y., and four daughters, Mrs. Frank Umholtz, Mrs. Oliver Meyers of Niagara Falls, Mrs. Glenn Knapp of Ransomville and Myrtle Ford of Wilson, N. Y. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the home of his brother, Charles O. Ford, No. 1143 Willow avenue, and at 3 o'clock from St. James Methodist church, Fifteenth street and South avenue. Burial will be in Oakwood cemetery.
- A reunion of the Kammerer family was held in 1923 Kammerer family at the home of Helen Kammerer Hoffman, on the occasion of sister Phoebe Kammerer's Frank's visit from her home in Devil's Lake, North Dakota.
- Charles Otto Ernest Ford and Anna Marie Kammerer appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Niagara Falls, New York, at 1143 Willow Avenue. Other members of the household included Charles Adam Benjamin Ford.
- He was employed as a public school janitor, according to the 1930 census.
- Kammerer sisters Phoebe, Helen, Mary, Libby and Maggie were photographed together during the early 1930s, and separately, husbands Bert Hoffman, Cornelius Frank and Charles Ford.
- The Frank family, on a working day, was photographed sometime during the 1930s, when Charles and Mary Ford were visiting from New York.
- Charles Otto Ernest Ford and Anna Marie Kammerer appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1940 in Niagara Falls, New York, at 1143 Willow Avenue.
- The following appeared on 18 November 1940 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Mr. and Mrs. Charles O. Ford, 1143 Willow avenue, parents of Francisw K. Ford, Niagara Falls Boy Scout executive, and pioneer residents of Niagara Falls, will observe their golden wedding anniversary with a reception for their friends at their home tomorrow afternoon and evening from 4 to 9 o'clock.
Mr. Ford was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Ford, Town of Porter farmers, and Mrs. Ford was the former Mary Kamerer, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Kamerer, well known residents of Niagara Falls in its early days.
- The following appeared on 22 November 1940 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Mr. and Mrs. Charles O. Ford, of 1143 Willow avenue, observed their Golden Wedding anniversary Tuesday, November 19, at a reception in their home from 4 till 9 o'clock. More than 200 guests and friends called to offer their congratulations and best wishes. Mr. and Mrs. Ford were the recipients of many gifts and flowers. A book depicting their life story by verse and pictures, the gift of Mrs. George U. Mack, compiled by Mrs. Francis K. Ford, was enjoyed by the many guests.
Among those present were the following who were guests at the wedding 50 years ago: Bridesmaids Helen (Kammerer) Hofman, Rose (Borth) Boehner; best man, Burt Hoffman; others, Louis Eimer, Mrs. George Benning, Mrs. Elizabeth Vorwerk, Mrs. Charles Gaise, Mrs. Lillian Reiger, Ellsworth O. Willie, Mrs. Frederica Zieger, of this city, and Miss Elizabeth Barnett, of Buffalo.
Presiding at the urns were Mrs. George Benning, Mrs. Charles D. Gaise, Mrs. Cora Petrie, Mrs. Eleanor Newson and Mrs. Marie Monte. Mrs. John Guinther and Robert Ford, a grandson, received the guests at the door.
Mr. Ford, who is retired, was formerly chief custodian of North Junior high school, one of the original members of the Niagara Dairy company and before that worked on the street railway during the period of horse cars and when the first electric cars came into existence. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Ford, who for many years operated the Porter farm, his boyhood days having been spent on this farm, which was located in the vicinity of McKoon avenue and Lewiston road.
Mrs. Ford was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Kramerer, whose home was located at North avenue and Lockport street, where she spent her girlhood days.
Mr. and Mrs. Ford are the parents of Scout Executive Francis K. Ford, of this city, Mrs. Sylvester Hannigan, of Mapleton, and Charles A. Ford, of Los Angeles, California, a member of Jan Garber's orchestra. There are four grandchildren, Kenneth, Robert and Charles ford, of this city, and Richard Charles Ford, of Los Angeles, California.
- The following appeared on 14 February 1941 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: The funeral of Andrew B. Rhodes, retired Falls school stationary engineer, who died in Freeport, L. I., on Monday, was held yesterday from the home of his daughter, Mrs. George Rushton, 720 Monteagle street, with burial in Riverdale cemetery. The Rev. Dr. S. S. Davies officiated at the funeral. Pallbearers were Charles O. Ford, George Rushton, Elmer J. Young, Clark Steele, Thomas J. Ryan and Albert E. Beam.
- During 1946, after the death of her husband John, Marie made a trip to Niagara Falls, where she is pictured with "Uncle Charlie and Aunt Mary" Ford and their daughter Louise and her husband Sylvester Hannigan.
- Kammerer cousins of the Ford and Frank families, and their husbands, were photographed about 1950.
- Charles Otto Ernest Ford became a widower at the 15 February 1951 death of his wife Anna Marie Kammerer.
- The following appeared on 16 February 1951 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: [Died] In this city Feb. 15, 1951, Mary A. Ford of 1143 Willow Ave., wife of Charles O; mother of Francis K., Mrs. Louise E. Hannigan, this city, Charles A., of Elkhart, Ind. Sister of Mrs. Helen Hoffman, this city. She is also survived by 4 grandchildren. Funeral service at Gridley Funeral Home, 730 Main St., Saturday at 2 p.m. Rev. Arthur H. Schmoyer, D. D., officiating. Interment in Memorial Park Cemetery.
- Charles Otto Ernest Ford died on 9 December 1952 at age 86 in Niagara Falls, Niagara County, New York, at Memorial Hospital.
- He was interred at Niagara Falls Memorial Park Cemetery, Lewiston, Niagara County, New York.
- The following appeared on 9 December 1952 in the Niagara Falls Gazette: Charles O. Ford, 86, of 1143 Willow avenue, died in Memorial hospital this morning after a brief illness. Born in the town of Porter, Mr. Ford had been a resident of Niagara Falls for 65 years.
Retired for 16 years, he had been a custodian of schools for the Board of Education. A 60-year member of Niagara Falls Lodge 81, IOOF, he also was a member of Riverdale Rebekah Lodge 195, the Golden Age club, the Zion Lutheran church and the Zion Brotherhood.
He is survived by two sons, Francis K. Ford, this city, and Charles A. Ford, Elkhart, Ind; one daughter, Mrs. Louise Hannigan, this city, and five grandchildren.
Funeral services will be conducted in the Gridley Funeral home at 2 p. m. by the Rev. Arthur H. Schmoyer, D.D. Interment will take place in Memorial Park cemetery.
- Last Edited: 4 Apr 2014
- Charts: Descendants of DEXHEIMER Philipp Peter & Maria Agnesa Wagner / Anna Christina Baltz , Descendants of KÄMERER Laurentius & Catharina Schömbs