Edith Dorothy Hoffman
b. 1 May 1913, d. 28 June 1986
- Father: Christian Hoffman b. 15 August 1882, d. 13 February 1977
- Mother: Anna Maria Christina Borth b. 23 October 1884, d. 22 October 1956
- Edith Dorothy Hoffman was born on 1 May 1913 in New York.
- Christian Hoffman appeared in the US federal census of 1 January 1920 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at 756 Glenwood Avenue. Other members of the household included Edith Dorothy Hoffman, Ruth Mary Hoffman, Esther Louise Hoffman, Christian Charles Hoffman, George Daniel Hoffman and Carol Elizabeth Hoffman.
- Christian Hoffman and Anna Maria Christina Borth appeared in the US federal census of 1 April 1930 in Buffalo, New York, at 756 Glenwood Avenue. Other members of the household included Edith Dorothy Hoffman, Ruth Mary Hoffman, Esther Louise Hoffman, Christian Charles Hoffman, George Daniel Hoffman and Carol Elizabeth Hoffman.
- The following appeared on 26 May 1941 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: Mr. and Mrs. Christian Hoffman of Glenwood Avenue announce the engagement of their daughter, Edith Dorothy, to Carl T. Eyring, of Bethlehem, P_A., son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Eyring of Cushing Place.
- She married Carl Theodore Eyring, son of Julius Jacob Eyring and Mathilda Augusta (?), on 26 July 1941.
- The following appeared on 24 July 1955 in the Buffalo Courier-Express: George Dan'l Hoffman's recent one-man art show and song recital at the Twentieth Century Club drew your Good Listener's attention to the exceptionally talented Hoffman family -- six sons and daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Hoffman, 751 Glenwood Ave.
Christian Hoffman Sr. made his start as a blacksmith, then, changing with the times, became the owner of a garage and repair shop for cars. Although he and his wife were limited in schooling, they encouraged their sons and daughters to develop their abilities through education.
Their daughter, Ruth, studied home economics at Buffalo State Teachers College, from where she was graduated. She is dietitian at Seneca Vocational High School.
The second daughter, Mrs. Alfred Schillke of Eggertsville, a graduate of the Buffalo School of Fine Arts, is a former teacher of art in local public schools. Lately, she conducted the art course in the Vacation Bible School of Ascension Lutheran Church, Snyder.
Christian Hoffman Jr., a graduate of Oswego State Teachers College, is a member of the faculty of Burgard Vocational High School. He has taken graduate courses at the University of Buffalo. The third daughter, Mrs. Carl [E]yring of Arizona, channels her artistic talent in the field of dress designing.
George Dan'l Hoffman of New York has sung in Carnegie Hall and painted portraits of many outstanding Americans. His study of art, begun at the Buffalo School of Fine Arts, was continued at the Parsons Art School and Cooper Union Institute of New York. Currently he is conducting summer art classes at his Snyder studio.
Mrs. Henry J[uette] of Snyder, youngest member of the family, made an intensive study of music. She is a church choir soloist, piano teacher, and former president of the Piano Teachers' Forum of Buffalo.
This family is an excellent example of the opportunities available to Americans possessing talent and the perseverance essential to its development.
- During May 1956, Christ and Mate Hoffman celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, and family members posed for a group photograph.
- Edith Dorothy Hoffman became a widow at the 10 January 1984 death of her husband Carl Theodore Eyring.
- The SSDI lists Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, as the last residence of record of Edith Dorothy Hoffman.
- Edith Dorothy Hoffman died on 28 June 1986 at age 73.
- Last Edited: 12 Oct 2013
- Charts: Descendants of DEXHEIMER Philipp Peter & Maria Agnesa Wagner / Anna Christina Baltz , Descendants of KÄMERER Laurentius & Catharina Schömbs